Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT- floor cleaners

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:14 PM
  • 17 Replies
I'm looking for suggestions on good floor cleaners. My entire house (literally every single room) is this weird beigy cafeteria style linoleum. Very light colored- it constantly looks dirty. The only thing I've found that actually makes it look clean is scrubbing on my hands and knees with soft scrub (the gel kind with bleach) and it's obnoxious. I do not want to do this every time I clean my floors.

I have a shark steam mop- that works to sanitize, which is great, but doesn't help with the dingy look.

I also have a regular old mop and bucket with elbow grease lol.

Anyone have suggestions on products? Natural or not doesn't matter, I just want it clean haha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:13 PM
It sounds like you might have a wax buildup or it's just gotten old... That requires the hard job of stripping the wax, cleaning up the stripper, recleaning the floors, then waxing them again. I have the same problem... We have linoluem throughout and whoever lived here before didn't properly clean before putting wax down... So there's weird looking spots all over. Then you have the wear and tear of our family living here for almost 3 years and its bad. I found out by accident that if you drop baking soda then mop with vinegar water you will strip the floors... By accident is not good... I now have white scratches mixed with grey where the old wax is all dingy in my kitchen.
mlogsdon
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Yikes. I've never had to do that lol. I do think its just super old.... Some parts are brighter than others, the high traffic areas are really worn down any gray, and those are the parts I can never get to match the rest. I'm not sure how long its been down, but we are definitely not the first family to live with it lol. There are weird spots and scratches, too. Is it difficult to do all of that correctly, or just tedious/time consuming? 

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

It sounds like you might have a wax buildup or it's just gotten old... That requires the hard job of stripping the wax, cleaning up the stripper, recleaning the floors, then waxing them again. I have the same problem... We have linoluem throughout and whoever lived here before didn't properly clean before putting wax down... So there's weird looking spots all over. Then you have the wear and tear of our family living here for almost 3 years and its bad. I found out by accident that if you drop baking soda then mop with vinegar water you will strip the floors... By accident is not good... I now have white scratches mixed with grey where the old wax is all dingy in my kitchen.

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:42 PM
That sounds exactly like my floors. It's mostly just tedious and time consuming. It is the best time to do it though since it's getting cool you can open all the windows to let the fumes(you're supposed to use ammonia to strip the wax off) out and still be relatively comfortable. There's guides online about what you need and how to do it. I'm just too lazy to do it lol. I'm pregnant and mopping seriously hurts my hips/pubic bone/tail bone. I wish I could just hire someone to come in and do it for me lol.

Quoting mlogsdon:

Yikes. I've never had to do that lol. I do think its just super old.... Some parts are brighter than others, the high traffic areas are really worn down any gray, and those are the parts I can never get to match the rest. I'm not sure how long its been down, but we are definitely not the first family to live with it lol. There are weird spots and scratches, too. Is it difficult to do all of that correctly, or just tedious/time consuming? 

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:52 PM

A neighbor suggested pouring a mixture of half warm water, half vinegar on our tile floors, spread around and let sit 15 minutes, and then mop up.  It actually worked pretty well.  She said it was a "scrub free" mix, but I did have to scub our grout a little still.  It would probably work pretty well on linoleum.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Yup

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

That sounds exactly like my floors. It's mostly just tedious and time consuming. It is the best time to do it though since it's getting cool you can open all the windows to let the fumes(you're supposed to use ammonia to strip the wax off) out and still be relatively comfortable. There's guides online about what you need and how to do it. I'm just too lazy to do it lol. I'm pregnant and mopping seriously hurts my hips/pubic bone/tail bone. I wish I could just hire someone to come in and do it for me lol.

Quoting mlogsdon:

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

sahmw2010
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Sounds like my old house back at Polk.. I just had to bleach that thing twice a day to make it look decent
mlogsdon
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Haha I can understand that. Thank you :)

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

Quoting mlogsdon:

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlogsdon
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Mine were actually pretty decent at Polk. The carpet was gross lol, but the linoleum was alright. The only thing that bugged me was how it changed colors in reaction to rubber mats. Luckily they don't charge for that though. I was panicking until they told me that lol

Quoting sahmw2010:

Sounds like my old house back at Polk.. I just had to bleach that thing twice a day to make it look decent
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlogsdon
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM
I actually mopped with vinegar today- I didn't let it sit though. I'll try it :)

Quoting TonyaLea:

A neighbor suggested pouring a mixture of half warm water, half vinegar on our tile floors, spread around and let sit 15 minutes, and then mop up.  It actually worked pretty well.  She said it was a "scrub free" mix, but I did have to scub our grout a little still.  It would probably work pretty well on linoleum.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:07 AM

Yep.  I agree here.

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)