Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Son is discharged and is still not home. Need advise PLEASE!!

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:49 AM
  • 20 Replies

My son was discharged from boot camp in early Sept. It is a month later and he is still there. He was discharged for medical reasons. As far as I know, all the paperwork is done. His last letter stated that he would be home in 3-10 days and now the news is that it will be another 10 business days until he can come home. That puts him to the date of "family day" and Graduation! We are so upset that he will still be there when this happens, this is all he wanted to do and then finding out that he doesn't qualify, and then have to wait around with all the other soldiers watching them do the training is cruel in my eyes. I want to know if anybody out there has had a son/daughter/husband/wife discharged and how was the process for you? Any suggestions would be helpful also. It is taking everything I have to not fly there to him and take him home!! 

by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I'm honestly not sure...good luck though!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:16 AM
He cant leave without permission and you cant just take him. Dh said wirh this shutdown things are delayed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:17 AM

My husband is a Drill Sergeant, from my understanding the ones who are discharged are sent to another area. So they are no longer with the group who is being trained. I can ask when he gets in from the field this weekend to see how it all works.

What is wrong with him?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:22 AM
From her past post he developed extreme anxiety

Quoting Anonymous:

My husband is a Drill Sergeant, from my understanding the ones who are discharged are sent to another area. So they are no longer with the group who is being trained. I can ask when he gets in from the field this weekend to see how it all works.

What is wrong with him?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM

He was probably taken to another place. If you're not going through bootcamp anymore, you're removed from training. Well that's what it was like in 07 anyways. 

Melbornj
by Melissa on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM
It all takes time unfortunately it is the way things go.
SierraLynn
by Just Me on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM
The failure to adapt and kids who quit are not top priority to send home. The unit has more important things to deal with like train the rest to graduation.
There were a few kids while my husband was an instructor that didn'togo home until far after their class graduated.
SierraLynn
by Just Me on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM
It depends. At Knox and Benning where my husband was an instructor the kids who were being chapterd were still in the squadron. They didn't continue to train but they were still around.
Whereas at Jackson when I went to basic we didn't see the drop outs at all after they quit.

Quoting Anonymous:

He was probably taken to another place. If you're not going through bootcamp anymore, you're removed from training. Well that's what it was like in 07 anyways. 

ConnieBonjiovi
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:29 PM

We heard that he is still with his company. And to clear things up, I understand the importance of getting those through to graduation. We were also told that the shutdown isn't having any effect on the delay. What I want to know is anyone out there had a family member discharged, did this happen to you also? How was your family member when they finally got home. I would like to hear some anyone who can relate to our situation! Thank You!

ConnieBonjiovi
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:30 PM

If he is still with his company, are they keeping him busy? Or are they just sitting around doing nothing?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)