Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Military hospitals

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

I'm a new military wife and I have no clue how the hospital  and dental benefits work.  Do I have to sign up for anything before I walk in? Do you make appointments? 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2013 at 2:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mlogsdon
by Mary on Oct. 11, 2013 at 2:49 AM
You have to have your Tricare set up first. And then yes, make an appointment. Dental is different and not included in Tricare insurance, that is an extra thing you sign up and pay for- I believe dependents are only seen off post. That's been my experience, I'm not sure if other places allow them to be seen on post.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 11, 2013 at 4:35 AM

Yep.  This.  

Quoting mlogsdon:

You have to have your Tricare set up first. And then yes, make an appointment. Dental is different and not included in Tricare insurance, that is an extra thing you sign up and pay for- I believe dependents are only seen off post. That's been my experience, I'm not sure if other places allow them to be seen on post.

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM
This exactly. The only time we have been seen on base for dental was to get our clearance to PCS overseas, and then now being overseas we get seen on base.

Quoting mlogsdon:

B1Bomber
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Once you're in DEERS and Tricare, you call the local appt line if you have base medical facilities. If not, you just find out which local drs take Tricare and make your own appts.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 11, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I know I'm in DEERS but do I just go to the hospital to set up Tricare or is it in a different building?

Quoting B1Bomber:

Once you're in DEERS and Tricare, you call the local appt line if you have base medical facilities. If not, you just find out which local drs take Tricare and make your own appts.

B1Bomber
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 4:43 PM

If there's a medical facility on base, Tricare almost definitely has an office there - even at smaller clinics, Tricare has offices.

Quoting Anonymous:

I know I'm in DEERS but do I just go to the hospital to set up Tricare or is it in a different building?

Quoting B1Bomber:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)