Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Has any one shipped a car for PCS? (stateside, not overseas)

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:46 AM
  • 14 Replies

I mean on your own dime, I KNOW the military won't pay for it. I'd rather be horsewhipped than drive 2 cars cross country so we're going to take my car (because it's bigger and we won't kill each other half way through in it). And we want to ship DH's car.

Is it going to be a problem that I don't currently have an address in the new location? I'm assuming they can meet me at the base (or near it) for drop off, but then again I've never shipped a car. Or should I ask my BIL if we can have it delivered to him? (BIL lives an hour from where we're going).

Anything I need to know otherwise?

by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:14 AM

We were going to, but it was going to be like $1500. That was too much for us, we just towed said vehicle on a trailer behind the Uhaul for like $300. 

Wanna join? Click the pic!

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:28 AM

We aren't doing a DITY move so towing it isn't an option (and wouldn't solve the "I don't want to drive 2 cars cross country thing")

My sanity is worth $1500, I don't think it will be that much but if it is, me being sane at the other end is worth it.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

We were going to, but it was going to be like $1500. That was too much for us, we just towed said vehicle on a trailer behind the Uhaul for like $300. 

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

We always do a partial DITY and take some things with us, like our valuables and things that we will need in the immediate future when we arrive and our stuff hasn't. We rent the smallest truck available and tow the Jeep, because quite frankly I don't think that POS would make it if we drove 1700 miles. (Hate that thing.)

Good luck to you. 

Quoting mom2jessnky:

We aren't doing a DITY move so towing it isn't an option (and wouldn't solve the "I don't want to drive 2 cars cross country thing")

My sanity is worth $1500, I don't think it will be that much but if it is, me being sane at the other end is worth it.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Wanna join? Click the pic!

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes we did, from NC to AZ. I forgot how much we paid but we were reimbursed for some of it when my dh sent in his travel claim. Gunsgirl gave me a very helpful link on how to get reimbursed. It was a great choice for us, and would do it again. No problems, no damage and I my car was delivered about 5 days after we arrived. I did have an address. Good luck!

Oddy_Knocky
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Yes, we've shipped several times and don't usually have an address. They'll meet you at a trucks top, store parking lot - really anywhere that they can get in and out of as transport trucks are massive. I don't think they'll go on base.
Word of advice. Take photos of the guy/gal, their truck, how they're loading your truck etc. and make sure you have all of their contact info, ins info and bosses info. We just PCS'd over the summer and had a horrible experience with one driver that cost us hundreds in repair. I had no"proof" (even though I did) that the transporter was at fault so repairs came out of picket. Make sure you get a highly reviewed service. There are many shiesters out there! Plan on anywhere between $500-$1500 and find a hauler as soon as possible to give them time to find a driver.
Our last literally came down to the hour because we had to find another company on such short notice.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Yep, this is what we would have done well.  We moved from Connecticut to Virginia and just drove our two cars...wasn't that bad only like 11 hours or so.  We would have towed my car if we were driving further than that...except at the time I had a Jeep Commander and my husband had a Dodge Ram and towing the commander wasn't as easy as we thought!  LOL!

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 1:32 PM

there is a way to get partially reimbursed for shipping a car conus to conus>

here is the info: http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/faqpovconus.cfm

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Oct. 13, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Cool! I really am fine with paying the cost, but if I get some back even better! 

Quoting gunsgirl:

there is a way to get partially reimbursed for shipping a car conus to conus>

here is the info: http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/faqpovconus.cfm

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Oct. 13, 2013 at 1:53 PM

If it were 11 hours I would do it, it's not though it's 4 days of driving. Big difference. 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Yep, this is what we would have done well.  We moved from Connecticut to Virginia and just drove our two cars...wasn't that bad only like 11 hours or so.  We would have towed my car if we were driving further than that...except at the time I had a Jeep Commander and my husband had a Dodge Ram and towing the commander wasn't as easy as we thought!  LOL!

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 13, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Um...yeah.  Totally get it.  I wouldn't do 4 days of driving like that either.  

Quoting mom2jessnky:

If it were 11 hours I would do it, it's not though it's 4 days of driving. Big difference. 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN