Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Shutdown military pay

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:55 AM
  • 73 Replies
Okay so my dh is telling me if the government shutdown isn't over, by the 17th, we might not get the check on November 1st. Im trying to research, to see what is going on, & I can't find anything that talking about active duty pay. I see that the veterans will not be recieving but nothing on active duty. Has anybody heard anything or knows about this?
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mistygirl
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM

The only news I have right now is that we get paid on time this month, I am guessing we will just have to wait until the first to see what happens because I have not seen anything at all about us not getting paid after the 15th, let's cross our fingers.

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:00 AM
4 moms liked this

If they don't open up by the 17th no one gets paid, because we have hit our debt ceiling and cannot afford to pay. 

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Haven't heard about end of month pay. I don't even get mid month pay til Tues!
mrsary
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:04 AM
All I gotta say is I am glad I Christmas shopped already!

Quoting barrelracer1699:

If they don't open up by the 17th no one gets paid, because we have hit our debt ceiling and cannot afford to pay. 

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:06 AM
7 moms liked this

I'm 70% certain that they'll come up with something by the 11th hour. I say 70%, because there is a 30% that all of these idiots realize that they have already committed political suicide, (and that goes for both parties), so they have nothing to lose by sinking the American public in deeper. All they have left is their personal pride and ego. 

Quoting barrelracer1699:

Wanna join? Click the pic!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:10 AM

The only thing I had heard was that they passed a bill funding the military.  I didn't hear how long that was for.  However, I cannot see them NOT paying active duty members.

If you bank with Navy Federal Credit Union or USAA, they will offer a loan to cover the pay.  They will simply take your backpay when it comes in.

If you don't bank with them, it's a good idea to call around and see what debts you owe that the company is willing to work with you on.  For example, my mortgage is through SAC.  I'm a disabled veteran who might not get paid.  SAC would let me defer my payment that month.  That means I won't pay that month, but an extra month is tacked on to the life of my loan.  Local utility companies have stated that if you show them your LES or credible documents to prove you are military or a retired veteran dependent on VA income, they won't charge any late fees should you be unable to pay.  You just pay later when you are able.

It might also help to get pre approved for a small personal loan that will cover your major bills.  Then should something go wrong, you can quickly get the loan and pay it off once your checks are regular again.

If you try to figure all this out now, then SHOULD something happen you won't find yourself scrambling.

Let this also be a reminder:  You should have 6 month's salary in savings at all times.  Many military struggle to get this savings, but it can be done.  You should make this a top priority in your budget.

Best of luck!  Keep in mind many aspects of this are fear and rumors.  If you can't find a reliable source for the information, it could very well not be true.  So try to remain calm and do as much planning as you can now so that if something does go awry you are prepared.  Staying proactive will also help reduce anxiety as you learn some strategies for dealing with a potential crisis.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:13 AM

You don't understand. If we hit the debt ceiling all bills protecting anyone's pay are moot. The government officially becomes broke. There will be no money in the treasury to pay anyone.

Quoting Anonymous:

The only thing I had heard was that they passed a bill funding the military.  I didn't hear how long that was for.  However, I cannot see them NOT paying active duty members.

If you bank with Navy Federal Credit Union or USAA, they will offer a loan to cover the pay.  They will simply take your backpay when it comes in.

If you don't bank with them, it's a good idea to call around and see what debts you owe that the company is willing to work with you on.  For example, my mortgage is through SAC.  I'm a disabled veteran who might not get paid.  SAC would let me defer my payment that month.  That means I won't pay that month, but an extra month is tacked on to the life of my loan.  Local utility companies have stated that if you show them your LES or credible documents to prove you are military or a retired veteran dependent on VA income, they won't charge any late fees should you be unable to pay.  You just pay later when you are able.

It might also help to get pre approved for a small personal loan that will cover your major bills.  Then should something go wrong, you can quickly get the loan and pay it off once your checks are regular again.

If you try to figure all this out now, then SHOULD something happen you won't find yourself scrambling.

Let this also be a reminder:  You should have 6 month's salary in savings at all times.  Many military struggle to get this savings, but it can be done.  You should make this a top priority in your budget.

Best of luck!  Keep in mind many aspects of this are fear and rumors.  If you can't find a reliable source for the information, it could very well not be true.  So try to remain calm and do as much planning as you can now so that if something does go awry you are prepared.  Staying proactive will also help reduce anxiety as you learn some strategies for dealing with a potential crisis.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:15 AM

There is ALWAYS money floating around in government.  But that is also why I listed out options for the just in case scenario, because you can never be sure in situations like these.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

You don't understand. If we hit the debt ceiling all bills protecting anyone's pay are moot. The government officially becomes broke. There will be no money in the treasury to pay anyone.

Quoting Anonymous:

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:21 AM
2 moms liked this

True, everyone should have a savings, but it's already been stated that no one gets paid if the debt ceiling is reached. It's one of the reasons that reaching the ceiling is so catastrophic, and everyone should be worried about this. If there is money floating around the government, as you say, it won't be going to us. 

Quoting Anonymous:

There is ALWAYS money floating around in government.  But that is also why I listed out options for the just in case scenario, because you can never be sure in situations like these.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting Anonymous:

Lzabierek
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I always do Black Friday because I have 6 nieces & nephews. December 5th is also my ds's 1st birthday but im having the party 2 weeks earlier.

Quoting mrsary:

All I gotta say is I am glad I Christmas shopped already!

Quoting barrelracer1699:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)