Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Military Handouts

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

Someone in MC stated that the military gets better handouts than civilian working poor. Thoughts? Agree? Disagree? 

Our special handouts are:

"BAH and BAS. Or on post housing with a utility allowance.

It's paid for by tax dollars of the American public, therefore it's a benefit, entitlement or "handout"

What about the free diapers, uso give aways, free school supplies, free clothes, free concerts and events, free holiday meals?

Military again, I say gets better than others who work. That's why a lot of people sign up.

And yep.. Military. DF was born into the military, was a Marine and now we are at fort Campbell army/airborne, coming here as army.

And I also know they built a 4 million dollar wic building here in the last two years because it's such a high volume clinic, with about 60% of its base being active military families."

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:19 PM
3 moms liked this

First of all, why are you listening to ANYONE over there in Troll Town?

I think it's condescending to refer to our allowances as handouts. But yes, we do have it much better than the civilian working poor. 

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Handouts? As in ... ?? 

sahmw2010
by Beth on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:22 PM

handouts? as in WIC, and PA? or are they talking about all the services that are offered on post?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:22 PM

She stated BAH and BAS. Base housing and ulitlity allowances. It was interesting to say the least her view

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Handouts? As in ... ?? 

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:22 PM
MC?? Smh. They don't know...
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I thought she was funny with her reasoning. 

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I think it's condescending to refer to our allowances as handouts. But yes, we do have it much better than the civilian working poor. 

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Oh, I see. Lame. 

Quoting Anonymous:

She stated BAH and BAS. Base housing and ulitlity allowances. It was interesting to say the least her view

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Handouts? As in ... ?? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:24 PM

She cited something about an expensive WIC building being built in post becuase 60%of the clinic is used by military, but she was referring to BAS and BAH. The USO, free diapers, free concerts etc.

Quoting sahmw2010:

handouts? as in WIC, and PA? or are they talking about all the services that are offered on post?

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Well, funny is an objective term I suppose.

It can't really be disputed, we do get allowances that make our lives more comfortable than a civilian with equal education in the private sector. BAS is kind of laughable I guess, but our BAH is a huge advantage that allows us to live comfortably.

Quoting Anonymous:

I thought she was funny with her reasoning. 

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Katkinson
by Kristin on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:27 PM
3 moms liked this

HEY!  I'm not a troll!! LOL.  I was on that post, and I responded to this. .. I essentially said that we didn't qualify for any type of hand out and have never taken "free" anything from the USO. 

Also, I explained that the "free" housing and "free" groceries were not "free" but allowances that are advertised as compensation to make the military salary equitable to a civilian salary for an occupation that has the same danger level, sacrifices as far as separation, and the specific skill sets. 

My opinion, but this is how it was put to me!!!

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)