Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

WE GOT ORDERS!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

Orders to Fort Bliss Texas. This will be our first duty station. On base housing is a 6 week wait and his check in date is November 1st!  So we decided to find a place off base ( still calling around). 

I was wondering if you guys have any advice about the area and how safe it is. Any areas to stay away from?  My husband decided we should buy a shotgun that kinda scared me. Is it that close to the border?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:43 AM

No idea as I'm not familar with that area.  Good luck though!  Glad you got orders.

mrspeterrabbit
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:10 AM

All I know is its 8 hours from me. I live in San Antonio TX, My best friend lives there though, and she really doesnt care for it, but it might be different for you. Good luck on your move and safe travels :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM
What rank is your husband? Sometimes the lower the rank the better chances you have in getting housing faster once you get there.
sahmw2010
by Beth on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:49 AM
It is close tothe boarder, i really have no clue except what my friebd there tells me. Said its a dessert, no grass where they are, just one big sand box. She did manage to grow sone carrots in her veggy garden.
mrsary
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Cool! Welcome to Army life!!
DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Oct. 17, 2013 at 2:28 PM

It is very close to Juarez, Mexico, so yes, I can see why your husband would want a gun in the house. Not trying to scare you, but Juarez is not all that safe. I would stay out of El Paso as that is the border town with Juarez, maybe find someplace as close to the base as possible. We only drove through and stopped for a few hours to check out some of the shops on the border so I'm not sure as to housing and where would be safest. The freeway basically separates Mexico and the U.S. to give you an idea of how close to the border you are. Just keep an open mind and you never know, you may enjoy yourself!

B1Bomber
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 7:00 PM

You probably want to find something in a decent neighborhood rather than right next to the base. For whatever reason, the neighborhoods immediately surrounding military bases are nearly always really sketchy.

There is a site called padmapper that searches four or five rental sites for you, displays the results on a map, and lets you use filters like whether you have pets and how far you are willing to commute.

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Yay, exciting!

BarbMulkey
by New Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I live in El Paso which is where Fort Bliss is.  Yes we are very close to the border.  It depends on where you choose to live as to "how dangerous" it is.  Closer to downtown and lower valley are pretty rough areas. However, East, Northeast, and West are usually pretty safe compared to the others.  Overall its a pretty good city and the Base is pretty nice.  They've been doing a lot of building and such to get ready for quite a few more soldiers and families.  I saw a post saying to stay out of El Paso and to go to a surrounding area.  If you do choose to do that you'll have quite a distance to travel to get to the base for work or shopping and so on.  Yes, the city is a great big sand box and yes we have bald mountains.  Mostly the people are pretty nice, but as with any place you have the "jerks" and "not so nice" people.  You just learn over time where you feel the best at.  East and West side is kind of like the "rich" or "well to do" areas and Northeast is like the middle class area.  You have Anthony Texas that's about a 20 mile drive to base and then you have Horizon city which is a pretty long drive (not sure on the exact distance as i do not go there).  Other than that the next closest areas is Chaparral NM and then Las Cruces NM but I don't think if you are stationed in Texas that you can live in NM.  I'd check on that if I were you.  El Paso is not as bad as some will have you think.  I don't feel you would need to be anymore fearful of living here than you do anywhere else unless you live in the downtown or lower valley areas.  El Paso is not a scarey city.  Welcome to El Paso and Fort Bliss and enjoy your stay. :)  On one other note Juarez is most definately not a safe place to go and if I am not mistaken I believe it's on our soldiers not allowed list unless they have changed that recently.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)