Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

DH joing the army.

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 7:43 PM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this

This has been and on going debate in our home for almost three years now. And I think we have finally decided to join army. Well my DH decided. Or is deciding. I'm going to support him no matter what but I'm really torn and need advice, and someone who can help me thru this. 

The issue is.. My dad is very ill and does not have much time left. So I will be moving closer to my family while he is basics and ait. Or untill my dad passes(I hate to say it like that but he knows it won't be long and we have all come to deal with that..though very painful even now) . Recruiters have assured that he will get pay while in basics and then in ait I will be allowed to get his bah and bas.(amount depends on where "I" am) 

Also I have two small children. A dd that is one and a DS that is two. I am currently a SAHM and have no income of my own. Even moving closer to my family, I won't be able to use them as babysitter, so getting a job will behard for me. 

What are some things I should kno and what are some experiences directly related to army. We have considered other branches but decided this is best for us. Our relationship is good and needs some work of course, but it's strong and I kno we can make it thru this opportunity, coming out even stronger. I need realistic experiences. To help me ease into this. I have spoken to many recruiters and I'm just to the point I need real people.(they have been helpful don't get me wrong..and I appreciate them. I just work better talking to people that have been thru this situation or very similiar 

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Katkinson
by Kristin on Oct. 17, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Not DH's branch or the branch I was in.  Sorry!  But I wish you luck.  YOu are right about one thing. . . .you can survive it.  It's all about the mentality you have when you walk into the situation. 

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this
He will probably need a dependent waiver. Last I knew, you could have no more than two to join and he has 3. Also, unless something has changed within the past year, BAH will not work like that. He will be paid BAH according to his duty station. It doesn't matter where you choose to live.
sleepy_in_va
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this
This is what my hubby has been told by all the branches. If he wants in or back in as our case is he has to sign a dependent waiver. Which we have no issue signing...

Also, when my hubby deployed I lived in Virginia and he was stationed out of California. We received BAH for Californias amount.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

He will probably need a dependent waiver. Last I knew, you could have no more than two to join and he has 3. Also, unless something has changed within the past year, BAH will not work like that. He will be paid BAH according to his duty station. It doesn't matter where you choose to live.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Good luck.

soonergirl980
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:50 PM

This isn't accurate for basic/ait.

Quoting Anonymous:

20. Why do you base BAH on my duty location? Why not use my residence location?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Do you have an answer for her then?

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting Anonymous:20. Why do you base BAH on my duty location? Why not use my residence location?

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:32 PM
For basic, don't they use HOR? I think AIT depends on how long it is. I know that when spouses are allowed to move to the AIT location, BAH is based off the duty station, so I'm guessing for the shorter schools, it still goes by HOR.

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting Anonymous:

soonergirl980
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Yes for basic and AIT they use HOR unless the spouse moves and is eligiable for a move to the soldiers AIT.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you have an answer for her then?

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting Anonymous:20. Why do you base BAH on my duty location? Why not use my residence location?

soonergirl980
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:14 PM

For AITs long enough for a move they only count if the spouse actually moves at least that has been our experience.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

For basic, don't they use HOR? I think AIT depends on how long it is. I know that when spouses are allowed to move to the AIT location, BAH is based off the duty station, so I'm guessing for the shorter schools, it still goes by HOR.

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)