Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much money out of pocket for a PCS?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

We have done two other PCSs but its been a while. How much money should we have saved before we PCS? Its a stateside PCS and we will do a partial DITY. Its a 2 day drive and we will probably be in TLF for about 3 weeks total between the two stations. There are 4 of us.

I know we get entitlements, but is it enough? Should we save extra? 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:09 AM

since your only allowed 10 days of TLE total and your looking at spending more time in a hotel at the new and old locations - add those extra days together, ( 100 dollars x 10= 1,000 dollars) then the added food per day 50 dollars x 10 = 500 dollars, so just for lodging your looking at 1500, if your going to rent a trailer you will need to pay for that out of pocket, , then if your going to rent you may need first last and security minus the DLA could mean another 2, 000, so we are up to 3500, then if you have to pay to turn on electric could be another 100-300.

so all in all maybe 4- 5,000 dollars.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I agree with gunsgirl. When we pcsd across the country I felt comfortable having $5,000 of our own money for the move.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Thanks ladies. We hav $3000 right now but Id rather not spend it all. Living on base is definetly a better value at the next place, so in the long run it will be to pay for TLF at the begining while we wait for housing. In a perfect world that will change and we will get into housing sooner!!

DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Check to see if you are eligable for TLA. TLA pays for your stay at the TLF while waiting for housing. We lived at the TLF for about a month while waiting for housing and we used TLA funds. TLA pays for your hotel stay and food per diem. It's been awhile since I checked the qualifications, but it may be worth looking into?

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:02 AM
We've never needed any but have only done local moves.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 26, 2013 at 6:04 AM

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)