Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

pt clothes

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:38 PM
  • 13 Replies
I work at a bar close to a large AF base that has some Marines stationed there. One night a Marine came in wearing a dark green sweatshirt with the USMC logo stamped on the left breast and a pair of basketball shorts. A group of I'm assuming former Marines approached him and they got into a heated argument (almost a fist fight) about whether or not the guy was wearing his PT clothes. I was just curious about what the big deal was and what constitutes Pt clothes?
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Oct. 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM

There are rules about when and how you wear your uniform...This includes PT clothing. Marines have the strictest rules when it comes to their uniform wear and appearance... Including on and off duty. Hence why it was a big deal if he was breaking a rule. I've seen marines being told by other marines to go change their civilian clothes while out in town.

>CH 5 6.  Wearing the uniform should be a matter of personal pride to all Marines.  Marines will maintain their uniforms and equipment in a neat and serviceable condition and will, by their appearance, set an example of neatness and strict conformity with these regulations.

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 4:47 PM

PT uniform is usually shorts and a certain t-shirt specifically for PT and PT only. There is also a "winter version" that is probably sweatpants or wind pants and a sweatshirt. They are not supposed to wear any part or whole of it for anything else and most especially not at a bar where they will be drinking. The AF one has reflective AF logo on the back and the shorts are hideous cut way too short &  navy, also with reflective stripe and never fit properly so it's easy to spot but I don't know what the Marine one looks like. 

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Oct. 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM

In the AT you can actually wear PT great as civilian attire, but there are rules with it.

7.1.12. PTU/IPTU items are authorized for wear with conservative civilian/personal attire during individual/personal PT or while off-duty (e.g. PT shirt with personal shorts/pants, PT jacket with personal shirt/pants/shorts, etc.). No civilian/personal items with offensive wording, graphics or photos are to be worn with the PTU/IPTU items at any time. 

Quoting Molimomma:

PT uniform is usually shorts and a certain t-shirt specifically for PT and PT only. There is also a "winter version" that is probably sweatpants or wind pants and a sweatshirt. They are not supposed to wear any part or whole of it for anything else and most especially not at a bar where they will be drinking. The AF one has reflective AF logo on the back and the shorts are hideous cut way too short &  navy, also with reflective stripe and never fit properly so it's easy to spot but I don't know what the Marine one looks like. 

crrodgers29
by New Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok that makes sense. I was wondering if it was considered a uniform. I know other guys just wouldn't let it go and I didn't need a bunch of Marines bearing the hell out of each other in my bar!

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

There are rules about when and how you wear your uniform...This includes PT clothing. Marines have the strictest rules when it comes to their uniform wear and appearance... Including on and off duty. Hence why it was a big deal if he was breaking a rule. I've seen marines being told by other marines to go change their civilian clothes while out in town.

>CH 5 6.  Wearing the uniform should be a matter of personal pride to all Marines.  Marines will maintain their uniforms and equipment in a neat and serviceable condition and will, by their appearance, set an example of neatness and strict conformity with these regulations.

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Oct. 22, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Yea I understand. It's a big deal to them and a pride thing. 

Quoting crrodgers29:

Ok that makes sense. I was wondering if it was considered a uniform. I know other guys just wouldn't let it go and I didn't need a bunch of Marines bearing the hell out of each other in my bar!

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Katkinson
by Kristin on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

FOr the navy it's bright yellow tees with navy blue shorts.  IMO TERRIBLE!  No idea about the regulations though.  I just know I hated that stuff ( back in my day it was navy blue shorts and white USN tees and blue USN hoodie/sweats).  I'd wear the sweats around the barracks but that was it.  I only wore that crap when they told me I had to! 

usmclife58
by Nikki on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Wearing PT gear for anything other than PT is a big no-no. They would not let him in any building on base (other than the gym). Huge signs everywhere letting them know if they "forgot".

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:09 AM
This is what my dh wears.

Quoting Katkinson:

FOr the navy it's bright yellow tees with navy blue shorts.  IMO TERRIBLE!  No idea about the regulations though.  I just know I hated that stuff ( back in my day it was navy blue shorts and white USN tees and blue USN hoodie/sweats).  I'd wear the sweats around the barracks but that was it.  I only wore that crap when they told me I had to! 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:57 AM

Mine too.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

This is what my dh wears.

Quoting Katkinson:

crrodgers29
by New Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 8:40 AM
My dad was AF for 20 years and the only time I saw him wear clothes with the AF logo was when he did a stint as a recruiter in Indy. I never saw him in his pt clothes.

Quoting Katkinson:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)