Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Where Do You Shop?

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:38 AM
  • 50 Replies

For clothes?  This is a spinoff from the "the way you dress" thread.  I need to buy a few things and am not loving the selections.  Where do you like to buy your clothing?

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Katkinson
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Maurices when there are sales

the cowgirl stores back home

Lucky Brand

sometimes buckle-- I love their stuff it's just really expensive and some is too over the top for me

I have a lot of LOFT, but I get that at the consignment shop.  Actually; I get a lot of my clothing at consignment shops.  The above mentioned are just stores where I can walk in and easily find stuff I like. 

I avoid wal-mart and discount stores.  I don't know if it's my washer or what, but that stuff doesn't seem to hold up as well.  IMO its cheaper to spend slightly more on good clothes than having to keep purchasing the cheap stuff to replace worn/torn items.  In the case of a consignment store, you're spending LESS on better name brands and they wash up better.  I've really noticed this with kid's clothes.  The graphics on a wally tee crack easily and look worn.  The stuff I pick up from thrift that's good name brand ( gap, gymbo, carters, oshkosh, crazy8, etc) never does that.  It washes up well. 

But I love to "pop tags"!  LOL.  My fav passtime.  I do better for the kids than I do for myself though!

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I have never head the term "pop tags" before, too funny!

I will check out Maurices.  I haven't been there in at least 20 years.

I do shop at LOFT sometimes but I'm looking for something that's in between LOFT and Buckle.  I don't know if that makes sense.

Totally agree with you about the discount stores.  Target is the same way.

I really should go to second hand stores but right now it's just so much easier for me to shop online.

Quoting Katkinson:

Maurices when there are sales

the cowgirl stores back home

Lucky Brand

sometimes buckle-- I love their stuff it's just really expensive and some is too over the top for me

I have a lot of LOFT, but I get that at the consignment shop.  Actually; I get a lot of my clothing at consignment shops.  The above mentioned are just stores where I can walk in and easily find stuff I like. 

I avoid wal-mart and discount stores.  I don't know if it's my washer or what, but that stuff doesn't seem to hold up as well.  IMO its cheaper to spend slightly more on good clothes than having to keep purchasing the cheap stuff to replace worn/torn items.  In the case of a consignment store, you're spending LESS on better name brands and they wash up better.  I've really noticed this with kid's clothes.  The graphics on a wally tee crack easily and look worn.  The stuff I pick up from thrift that's good name brand ( gap, gymbo, carters, oshkosh, crazy8, etc) never does that.  It washes up well. 

But I love to "pop tags"!  LOL.  My fav passtime.  I do better for the kids than I do for myself though!

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I end up orderging from Nordstrom and Amazon a lot but I want to find some other places.

cocoroo
by Coco on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I wear jeans pretty much everyday.  I have over 20+ pairs and all but 3 are from American Eagle, the others are from Gap.  I also have a cardigan problem, I have about 20.  They are from AE, Aero, Old Navy and a few from Kohls and Target. In the summer, I wear a lot of dressier tank tops that I can put a cardigan over in the cooler weather, most of those are from Kohls.  

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Lately it's been Macy's. Surprisingly, they have some good deals on cute tops! I also have a favorite Amazon boutique merchant. My daughter is a VS Pink manager, so she buys me tons of lounge wear ... which I would never wear out in public. I am WAY too old for Pink. LMAO!

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I really need new jeans.  But I have such a strange body type.  I was looking at AE jeans the other day but it seemed like the reviews were mixed.  Some complaining of a smell that didn't wash out, others stating that the jeans stretch out too much while wearing.  Have you had either of those problems?

I'm really picky about my cardigans too.  I can't have any wool and I don't like it when they look frumpy.  I will check out the places you mentioned.  Right now, the only cardigans I can find that I like are the Halogen ones from Nordstrom.

Quoting cocoroo:

I wear jeans pretty much everyday.  I have over 20+ pairs and all but 3 are from American Eagle, the others are from Gap.  I also have a cardigan problem, I have about 20.  They are from AE, Aero, Old Navy and a few from Kohls and Target. In the summer, I wear a lot of dressier tank tops that I can put a cardigan over in the cooler weather, most of those are from Kohls.  

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Ha ha, I'm too old for Pink too!  I do like their loungewear though.

I have my cart full of stuff at Macys but haven't checked out yet.  I agree, they have some good deals.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Lately it's been Macy's. Surprisingly, they have some good deals on cute tops! I also have a favorite Amazon boutique merchant. My daughter is a VS Pink manager, so she buys me tons of lounge wear ... which I would never wear out in public. I am WAY too old for Pink. LMAO!

MrsSexyCurtains
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm 4'11 so shopping for jeans is a real pita. I only buy mine from AE since they carry my size in short lol. I buy from old navy, target or AE. I'm pregnant so I've bought used motherhood maternity on base.
cocoroo
by Coco on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I read the review the other night about the jeans smelling.  I have never had that problem.  I like that they have so many styles of jeans.  My favorites are the skinny crops, they are ankle length and then I cuff them a little and wear with flats or booties, and the skinny kick.  I also haven't had a problem with them stretching out, until recently.  I ordered a pair online a couple of weeks ago and they do stretch out.  I don't know if they have less stretch or what, but they still look cute.  I have a weird body shape, so jeans aren't easy for me.  I have a fairly small waist and big hips and thighs.  So, no matter where I buy my pants, the waist is too big.  I just like the way AE fit better than anywhere else.  As far as my cardigans go, some of them are frumpy, some aren't.  I just like to shop.  I'm going to the mall in a little bit :)

Quoting SlapItHigh:

I really need new jeans.  But I have such a strange body type.  I was looking at AE jeans the other day but it seemed like the reviews were mixed.  Some complaining of a smell that didn't wash out, others stating that the jeans stretch out too much while wearing.  Have you had either of those problems?

I'm really picky about my cardigans too.  I can't have any wool and I don't like it when they look frumpy.  I will check out the places you mentioned.  Right now, the only cardigans I can find that I like are the Halogen ones from Nordstrom.

Quoting cocoroo:

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I can see how that would be a pita.  So many jeans automatically come in 33 and 34 inseam.  I'm 5'7" and that's way too long on me.  That would be comically long for you!

Quoting MrsSexyCurtains:

I'm 4'11 so shopping for jeans is a real pita. I only buy mine from AE since they carry my size in short lol. I buy from old navy, target or AE. I'm pregnant so I've bought used motherhood maternity on base.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN