Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

OT: Flying with a 1yo. Tips?

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:23 PM
  • 12 Replies

We're flying to AZ after Thanksgiving. Any tips on traveling with a 1yo?

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Make sure she's sucking on something (bottle, paci) for take offs and landings - it'll help with the air pressure in her ears.

sleepy_in_va
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 5:35 AM
This.

Also make sure you have toys or snacks for the child. Try for an aisle seat this way you both can get up and walk.

Quoting jas_momof2:

Make sure she's sucking on something (bottle, paci) for take offs and landings - it'll help with the air pressure in her ears.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 29, 2013 at 5:40 AM

Patience:)  Good luck!

themomof3boys
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:23 AM
Buy new toys and don't give them the 1 yr old till the day of the flight, bring some new books as well. And do make sure that he/she has something to suck on during take off and landings.
Katkinson
by Kristin on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:29 AM

I was always nervous but ended up alright. 

If they watch any shows ( Einstein, etc) put some on a tablet ( if you have one) to fill any bored moments. 

B1Bomber
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Plenty of travel friendly, time consuming toys - shape sorters, magnadoodles, books - a favorite stuffed animal to use as a pillow, and snacks. You are allowed to take kid snacks through security - milk, juice, applesauce, etc.

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I don't advocate for drugging babies to sleep... but my pedi recommended giving Benadryl the day before, and the day of the flight to dry up any fluid in baby's ear to prevent ear infections. Sleeping is just a lovely side effect.

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Breastfeeding was my life saver.

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I ditto most of the above, I have done it with a 15 month old and a 1 year old (not the same flight)...lots of snacks, some new toys they have never seen before and wait to pull them out until the baby is starting to get restless, and only one at a time.  Nothing with small parts (I made that mistake, her favorite toy was a ring stacker...we had to ask the nice lady behind us for one of the rings back that fell and rolled under the seat), boob/bottle/paci during takeoff/decent for the ears, something electronic (ipad, portable dvd, etc) to entertain if that works for them.  Or a magnadoodle like someone else mentioned.

For walking around the airport, a baby back-pack type carrier was great to keep your hands free for luggage and handing over tickets and all of that.

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Toys(favorites and a couple new ones).

make sure you have THE lovey or blankie!

wear baby in a carrier if you can and and use a backpack diaper bag.

you are allowed to bring baby's food and drink above and beyond the 3oz rule, I had it all in a separate small lunch bag IN my diaper bag and just handed it to the TSA guy to test telling him it as all my son's food/drink for the trip.

iPad or portable DVD player with Elmo, Mickey or whatever little one's favorite and Kids Gear headphones(my son has had these for almost 4 years since he was about 11 mos and used them a TON and they still work!)

finger puppets, toy cars, NO ANNOYING TOYS (ie, the singing maraca, toy cell phone that beeps or plays music, etc)

books for "no electronic time" a couple favorites and a new one or two.

best "toy" I ever made: a clean spice container (used a McCormick parsley container)with the large holes on top and some pipe cleaners cut to size of container. Child pushes pipe cleaners through holes in top into container. I keep one in my bag, my son turns 4 in January and STILL finds it fascinating at restaurants. Cheap, easy, lightweight, and it develops fine motor skills!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)