Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Just a vent. don't mind me.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
A few months ago my SO and I were waiting to find out where we were pcs'ing to, we were also expecting our son too. Well, my parents threw a fit about us trying to move closer to them so they can be involved in their grandsons life. It's like they literally think that we choose where we move to. Even though we've explained countless times that it's up to the military! They gave us so much crap about it, like we were horrible people if we didn't stay close to family. So then we found out where we were moving to, ironically, an hour and a half away from where my parents live. What are the odds, really. So we moved, our son was born, it's been 3 months and my parents have yet to make an effort to come by and see their grandson. They see him when we make the effort and go to them. No phone calls, no "how are you/baby doing", no visits. Nothing. Oh, and they've only seen him once because of the time we went to their house. But we can't always make those trips, my SO's schedule is demanding and always changing. And I'm trying to keep up with him and raising our newborn. They don't understand our lack of availability to go to their house. Especially since my SO and I share a car. But they're more than welcome to come to our house! I'm just so annoyed with it. >:|
It seems like they don't understand our lifestyle. they especially don't understand how pcs' ing works even though we've explained it countless times. Grr.
But anyway, whew! That rant needed to come out!
Do any of you have family who don't quite understand or support your military lifestyle?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Hugs!  Sorry to hear things are rough.  Both of our families are very understanding of our life.  We've never lived anywhere near family though.

cocoroo
by Coco on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

It is on them if they don't visit.  I go for years without seeing my family.

lizzy_ellie
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:39 PM

that sucks :( my family would come as much as possible.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:47 PM
My family and friends always come to see us. DH's family never has. Not big loss, we can't stand them, anyway. I used to get very frustrated with my mom when my kids were younger, though. She always wanted us to go see them, but she failed to grasp how difficult it was to pack up 4 kids and take them across the country and back again.
jennkrzyz
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Sorry!! My dad is having a really hard time with us moving away. We currently live 2 hrs away, but we've always been in the same state. Now that were moving he gets really defensive and upset about it. Oh well, such is life!
MrsSexyCurtains
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:53 PM

My parents get sad that they're missing out on their only grandchild's life but they understand.  We send tons of pics and we talk all the time to them.  If I lived that close to my family, my mom would be over all the time lol.  It sucks that they don't make an effort but it's their loss.

DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Oct. 30, 2013 at 1:05 PM
My family also does not make the effort. If I want to see them, its up to me. After my sisters wedding, I will no longer be making the trip. It will be up to them. Their loss.
sleepy_in_va
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 1:11 PM
My mom was sad that I was moving away and taking my dd with me but she knew she had to let me go and live my life with my husband. She came out from Va to Ca twice to be with me and I flew back once to visit. Now my dhs parents could care less about seeing us even though now we live back.in our hometown and like 15 minutes from.them. they don't seem to understand our schedule and when we say we are available they can't move their stuff around but you better believe if they tell us to come over we better drop everything and go right then and there!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 30, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Aww. Thanks everyone. It just blows my mind because we will probably never be this close for a very long time- if ever. But all of you that have said "it's their loss", you're right.
My SO's family has been over to visit 5 Times in the last 3 months, and they stay for 2-3 days at a time. And they live 3 hours away! So I see no excuse as to why my family is being so careless. It just breaks my heart, I want my son to have a good relationship with them while we're here.

Quoting sleepy_in_va:

My mom was sad that I was moving away and taking my dd with me but she knew she had to let me go and live my life with my husband. She came out from Va to Ca twice to be with me and I flew back once to visit. Now my dhs parents could care less about seeing us even though now we live back.in our hometown and like 15 minutes from.them. they don't seem to understand our schedule and when we say we are available they can't move their stuff around but you better believe if they tell us to come over we better drop everything and go right then and there!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 30, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Oh, and forgot to add- my family does that too, expecting us to always be the ones who drop everything and we need to be the ones to reach out. That's a bunch of bull! My SO works ridiculous hours 6 days a week and is always on call for work. Our availability doesn't allow us to take off for a day and drive 3 hours total, nevertheless with a newborn I don't care to make the trip! I hate how people have the nerve to make it so you're the one bending over backwards to accommodate everything. I hear ya on that one.

Quoting Anonymous:

Aww. Thanks everyone. It just blows my mind because we will probably never be this close for a very long time- if ever. But all of you that have said "it's their loss", you're right.

My SO's family has been over to visit 5 Times in the last 3 months, and they stay for 2-3 days at a time. And they live 3 hours away! So I see no excuse as to why my family is being so careless. It just breaks my heart, I want my son to have a good relationship with them while we're here.

Quoting sleepy_in_va:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN