Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

coming home letter from 1964

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM
  • 11 Replies
2 moms liked this

I don't post here much but I found this in a memory book that my grandma had given me after my grandpa died. I hadn't looked in it because for the 9 years since he's died it's been too painful. But I looked in it last night and found this. It's a letter that my grandma recieved from the air force informing her that my grandpa would be coming home after being stationed away from her and their children in Thule Greenland for a year. I don't have a scanner so I just retyped it.  Maybe nobody else will find it interesting but I did so I just thought I'd share :)

"Certificate"

Thule Greenland

By proclamation this day of 16 Apr. in the year of our Lord, 1964.  To all interested in the being of Robert L. *******.  In the near future the above named individual will once again be in your midst. Still cold, dehydrated, and almost demobilized, to take his places once again as a human being engaged in life, liberty, and the somewhat delayed pursuit of happiness. There he will endeavor to maintain and uphold all rights and privileges  made available by the wonderful place that he remembers as home. and the United States.  In making your preparations for this joyous rendezvous and reunion you must make allowances because of his crude environment.  Stress and strain have been a miserable life for the long year that he has spent in the far off Arctic.  In a sense he may be a little "rock-happy" or "shook", as the saying goes. Never ask him if it is windy at this place, Thule. Never ask him if it is as cold as they say, and refrain from mentioning the word POWDERED.  Never ask him about the women or make flattering remarks about the AIR FORCE. Above all, keep cool when he pours gravy over his dessert at the supper table.  Never question his rank or why he has never made the next stripe.  Never ask him if the eskimo girls are cute. Above all, and this is a must, never mention the air defense command, the greenland contractors, rotation, reenlistment, leaves, the water supply, base defense training, the laundry situation, and the six months dark season.  These are only a few of the many unspeakables.

Beneath the frostbitten and rugged exterior there beats a heart of gold. Treasure this, for after a year of male companionship and lonliness, it is probably the only thing left.  However, with kindness, consideration, understanding, and tolerance, you will once again rehabilitate the hollow shell that is nothing like the man you once knew.  As an old eskimo would say "ERNINAK ANDERENA ASUNDA", which means "Darling, I'm coming home".  Upon receipt of this, send no more letters to APO 23.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahmw2010
by Beth on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Thats cool.
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

That is sweet!

violinjewel
by Julia on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jas_momof2:

That is sweet!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

That is neat :)  I have a couple letters that my grandpa wrote his parents when he was in the Navy during Korea, they are pretty fun.

sleepy_in_va
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this
That is very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:18 PM
2 moms liked this
Very interesting ... and kind of bizarre, actually! lol I have a stack of letters written to my grandmother by her cousin, who was a bombardier in WWII (his plane was shot down and he was KIA). I have never read them out of an odd notion that I would be disturbing something sacred. I guess I should though, in order to keep the story alive.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I enjoyed this! Thanks for sharing.

EricaG87
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:41 PM
My grandma basically wrote this huge book about her and my grandpa's life together, complete with pictures and old letters and stuff like that. It's REALLY neat and they have an amazing love story that belongs in a movie. She gave a copy of the book to each of her kids' family. Reading it now I wish that I had read it sooner. I bet you will find some really interesting stuff in those old letters! How sad that he was KIA though :(
Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Very interesting ... and kind of bizarre, actually! lol I have a stack of letters written to my grandmother by her cousin, who was a bombardier in WWII (his plane was shot down and he was KIA). I have never read them out of an odd notion that I would be disturbing something sacred. I guess I should though, in order to keep the story alive.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 4:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you for sharing!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 31, 2013 at 6:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Thank you for sharing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)