Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

medical question, need advice please regarding how to handle situation in ref. to tricare

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies

AD family, Tricare prime remote.  No MTF near us. 

Primary care doc is 45 mins away, no one is answering their phones for an urgent care referral. 

Pregnant, had a cold last week, labored breathing today with feeling short of breath.  Sounds weird, but I feel "tingly" in my face like I do when I am close to passing out. But I do NOT FEEL like I am going ot pass out.  No dizziness, no weakness, etc.   

I don't feel this is an ER situation, do I just go to Urgent care without approval?  Can tricare itself give me a referral instead of my Primarycare? 

Need to get this taken care of ASAP, I have appointments at 11 ( my ob won't treat me for this.  Last time I had a regular medical condition, they sent me to my primary care doc)  TIA. 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:42 AM
2 moms liked this

Call the tricare nurse line - they can authorize an urgent care visit or tell you to go to the ER...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Do NOT go to urgent care without a referral. They will not pay for it. If anything I would mention it to your OB, fainting issues can be related to pregnancy.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Quoting jas_momof2:

Call the tricare nurse line - they can authorize an urgent care visit or tell you to go to the ER...

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:51 AM
I regularly go to the urgent care without a referral and just get a referral afterwards. This is against the rules though but I do it anyway.
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

until the day comes when they say, "Nope - not approved"  Good luck with that.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

I regularly go to the urgent care without a referral and just get a referral afterwards. This is against the rules though but I do it anyway.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:34 AM

OP go to the ER ASAP!!  they are better equiped to handle your issue.

DO not wait!!!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Hugs mama...I agree here!

Quoting jas_momof2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Thank you!  It ended up just being congestion made worse by a growing baby pushing on my lungs :)  my doc finally got back to me and approved an urgent care visit.  The stupid lady I talked with at tricare didn't even tell me about the nurse's line!!!  I know for next time though!!!!!

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I am glad you were able to get in and be seen.  Hope you start feeling better!  I had bronchitis during my last pregnancy and it was no fun at all.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you!  It ended up just being congestion made worse by a growing baby pushing on my lungs :)  my doc finally got back to me and approved an urgent care visit.  The stupid lady I talked with at tricare didn't even tell me about the nurse's line!!!  I know for next time though!!!!!

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I've literally been doing it on a regular basis for more than a decade.  Never happened yet.

Quoting jas_momof2:

until the day comes when they say, "Nope - not approved"  Good luck with that.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)