Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

ot: awkward moments

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:59 AM
  • 18 Replies

My DH was telling me that he had a luncheon with his boss, the bosses wife, and about 6 other people on the team yesterday. During the course of the meal, a couple of times the wife called her husband a name they didn't recognize. My DH said that he really didn't think much about it and chalked it up to being a middle or nickname.

After lunch the wife left. My DH said that he boss told them all to excuse his wife. When my DH asked why, he told him, "Because she kept calling me by her exhusbands name and I appreciate that no one questioned it".

My DH said, no one had been the wiser before that, like him they thought it might have been a middle name or a pet name, but after the boss made mention of it, it made for a very awkward afternoon.

I cannot imagine ever calling my DH by the ex-DH's name.  Have you ever called someone by the wrong name making for an awkward situation?

by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Wow, that is awkward. I haven't called any one by the wrong name that I can remember, but I told this lady congrats on her pregnancy, and she wasn't pregnant. She looked nine months pregnant with twins, the lady was wearing a maternity looking shirt. She was so offended she was tearing up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Reina13
by Reina on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Oh I have done that before too. I felt so bad at the time.

Quoting adrianna1043:

Wow, that is awkward. I haven't called any one by the wrong name that I can remember, but I told this lady congrats on her pregnancy, and she wasn't pregnant. She looked nine months pregnant with twins, the lady was wearing a maternity looking shirt. She was so offended she was tearing up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I'm surprised he offered an explanation but it must have been embarrassing to him. Yikes. I wonder if she got an ear full last evening. I imagine that must have been pretty awkward.

As for calling someone by the wrong name? I must confess that I have and in the most unfortunate situation. Definitely NOT one of my finer moments but it happened long before I was married an many, many years ago. It was very awkward for me and infuriating to the person I was with. o.O

adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Yes, I felt terrible! The lady had super skinny arms and legs and what looked like a big baby bump, I'll never say anything like that to a stranger again!

Quoting Reina13:

Oh I have done that before too. I felt so bad at the time.

Quoting adrianna1043:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Reina13
by Reina on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Oh no! That would be super awkward! I take it that relationship didn't work out. wink mini

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm surprised he offered an explanation but it must have been embarrassing to him. Yikes. I wonder if she got an ear full last evening. I imagine that must have been pretty awkward.

As for calling someone by the wrong name? I must confess that I have and in the most unfortunate situation. Definitely NOT one of my finer moments but it happened long before I was married an many, many years ago. It was very awkward for me and infuriating to the person I was with. o.O

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Lmao! No. No it did not. But he wasn't any good for me anyhow and obviously my mind was on someone else. I can giggle at the situation now though. :-p

Quoting Reina13:

Oh no! That would be super awkward! I take it that relationship didn't work out. wink mini

Quoting Anonymous:

hello_kitty25
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Omg no! Why would she do that??
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Making an awkward situation?  No, but I switch the kids names all the time without meaning to.  Wouldn't be so bad, but there's 12 years between them so it's really obvious who is who.  That's how the mind works sometimes.  Especially when we get older.

adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:56 PM
2 moms liked this
I usually call out four names before I get to the right one, then I just point and say "you there"! Lol

Quoting jas_momof2:

Making an awkward situation?  No, but I switch the kids names all the time without meaning to.  Wouldn't be so bad, but there's 12 years between them so it's really obvious who is who.  That's how the mind works sometimes.  Especially when we get older.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:08 PM
2 moms liked this
This is me, also! I feel like the old woman who lived in a shoe. Sometimes dog and cats names get thrown in there, too!

Quoting jas_momof2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)