Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

OT:Guy Thrown in Jail for a 'Crime' We've All Committed

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:59 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

Guy Thrown in Jail for a 'Crime' We've All Committed

by Maressa Brown

man cuffedOkay, let's see a show of (virtual) hands: How many of us have ever neglected to return a library book? I did it so much when I was a kid that I seriously thought my school/town/synagogue's libraries were going to stalk me down and wring my neck. I swear, I lived my 10-year-old life in fear for a while there! And while my worries were unnecessary, it looks like a guy in Texas should've been shaking in his boots over the book he failed to return!

Jory Enck found himself jailed last week over an unreturned GED study guide he checked out in 2010, according to court documents. Yes, I repeat: A man was actually arrested for failing to return a book to the library. Oh, what a world we live in! Criminals galore, and this is who they go after!

Apparently, Enck never responded to the library when it tried to get the book back from him (what a delinquent!). So they had no choice but to an enforce a real law that says anyone who's had an overdue book checked out for at least 90 days and has not responded to the library's attempts to get it back could eventually be arrested on an "overdue library materials warrant." Ha! So nuts!

It almost makes you wonder if this kind of extreme punishment for such a minor offense could mean we'll soon be getting cuffed for our most benign violations. What's next, going to the slammer for failing to return your shopping cart to the corral at the grocery? Reparking in a metered space after your two-hour limit is up?

The municipal judge who handled the crazy case admitted that their tactics here were controversial, but explained that "people that go to our library and can't have these materials, they're put out too." And he told the local news station that the library has spent "a tremendous amount of money" replacing books that were never returned.

Good points, and also a reminder that public libraries are, well, public, taxpayer-funded, etc. The books are for sharing, so what Enck did is pretty much stealing from the government. Still, throwing the guy in jail was obviously unnecessary. Although, after he was quickly released on bond, he did return the overdue book!

What's the craziest law you've ever heard of and/or seen enforced?

Do YOU ever had overdue/lost/forgotten library books?

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sleepy_in_va
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:37 PM
I've had over due books but nothing that major.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Well, I suppose they probably won't have to worry about anyone else in the city not returning a book for quite a while.  :/

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Nov. 4, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Copperas Cove. That figures. I had a run-in with their local government when we lived there. They are complete pricks who refuse to listen to reason.
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Nov. 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM

This author should be arrested for writing this.  But yeah...  I've forgotten to return a book but not for YEARS...

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 4, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Nope, I've never forgotten to return one...probably since I haven't check out a library book since I was in highschool!  LOL!

Reina13
by Reina on Nov. 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Good ole Copperas Cove.

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Lol, if have been arrested many times by now! I can't think of any crazier reason off the top of my head.
Q-tsmom
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:13 AM

the state of Missouri had on their law books for a hundred and thirty something years that members of one church  "must be treated as enemies, and must be exterminated or driven from the State if necessary"

The Ohio driver’s education manual states that you must honk the horn whenever you pass another car.

Citizens may not enter Wisconsin with a chicken on their head.- (not sure why that would even be an issue)

It is against the law to fish from horseback in Utah.  

In michigan "No man may seduce and corrupt an unmarried girl, or else he risks five years in prison."- yep gonna move there when I have a teenage daughter! lol

There are crazy dumb laws everywhere

adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Maybe the cops out there should check out a few books themselves and read them. If the worst thing going on a community was overdue books it would be a wonderful place indeed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sportswife408
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Lol great story it makes you wonder what this world is coming too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)