Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Can we use TLE once we get checked into housing?

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 10:10 AM
  • 11 Replies

We are going to get into a house on base the day after arrive, and we are only using 1 day of TLE before we leave. We would have 9 days unused. Can we still use the 9 days even after we sign into the house? We are going to paint and we wont have furniture for another week, so it would be helpful. I could air our the house after painting and not worry about it since it will be during the winter. Do we lose our TLE days when we sign into a house?

by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Long as you are in lodging you should be able to get TLE. Housing didn't effect mine.
Clh1989
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

Long as you are in lodging you should be able to get TLE. Housing didn't effect mine.

That's what I was thinking. I know we've used it before checking out of the old house before so we could clean carpets.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 2, 2013 at 10:38 AM
I got my on post housing before even checking into my new duty station and received TLE for those days in hotel waiting for furniture. All finance wanted was a hotel receipt and asked nothing about housing!

Quoting Clh1989:

Quoting Anonymous:

That's what I was thinking. I know we've used it before checking out of the old house before so we could clean carpets.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I would double check.  We've always been told that as soon as you sign for a house, the allowance for TLE stops.

fourlittlebees
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM

You can get TLE after you sign for housing.   We signed for housing, and stayed in it for a few days with temporary furniture.  When it was delayed, checked into a hotel and used up the remainder of our TLE.    Some may not realize it either, but you can also get 2 rooms reimbursed of your family size is large enough (we are a family of 6 and got 2 rooms this time around!).    We needed to have the 2 rooms on two invoices for the lodging portion of the TLE.   

Your husband can also use his PTDY while you wait for your HHG to be delivered.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:23 PM

this is part of the rule:

upon initial arrival at the CONUS PDS while waiting for government quarters assignment, or while completing arrangements for other permanent living accommodations when government quarters are not available

also unless your CG you are required to stay on base or get a non-avalabilty waiver from the TLF.

also just to make sure you know- you are allowed a total of ten days- if you can use some at the old and some at the new unit- but if you use 2 days at the oldyou have seven days at the new- Also ( because alot of poeple get screwed with this) you cannot double dip per diem and TLE- if you are allowed 5 days of enroute per diem- do it in 3 and check into the TLE hotel you will lose 2 days of TLE.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 2, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I've always been told this as well.

Quoting jas_momof2:

I would double check.  We've always been told that as soon as you sign for a house, the allowance for TLE stops.

fourlittlebees
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

You may or may not need a statement of non availiabitly.  It depends on if you have goverment lodging on post.  Fort Polk is one of those installations who has a holiday inn and you do not need a statement of non availbility.  Always ask!

Also #8 of the FAQs addresses HHGs and TLE: 

8. Am I paid TLE if I am assigned family-type government quarters?

Yes, if the assigned quarters are not occupied because:

1. HHG have not been shipped from the old PDS;
  2. HHG have not been received at the new PDS;
  3. the quarters are undergoing repair/renovation, etc., or
  4. the HHG have been packed, picked up and/or shipped from the old PDS.

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/faqtle.cfm#Q1

Clh1989
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Wait, so this means no? Im having a hard time making sense of that statement. 

Quoting gunsgirl:

upon initial arrival at the CONUS PDS while waiting for government quarters assignment, or while completing arrangements for other permanent living accommodations when government quarters are not available

also unless your CG you are required to stay on base or get a non-avalabilty waiver from the TLF.

also just to make sure you know- you are allowed a total of ten days- if you can use some at the old and some at the new unit- but if you use 2 days at the oldyou have seven days at the new- Also ( because alot of poeple get screwed with this) you cannot double dip per diem and TLE- if you are allowed 5 days of enroute per diem- do it in 3 and check into the TLE hotel you will lose 2 days of TLE.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:14 AM

sorry, I miss read the question- if you moving on base then you can wait until your HHG's can be delivered.

we used TLE here for the weekend until we got the keys on monday, and then slept on air mattresses for a week while we painted and then had the movers bring the HHGs after we were done.

Quoting Clh1989:

Wait, so this means no? Im having a hard time making sense of that statement. 

Quoting gunsgirl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN