Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Don't Tread on Me Navy Jack --Have you heard this?

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:25 AM
  • 9 Replies

Apparently, some people are upset because the Navy Jack was taken away as an option for uniform wear. http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/01/navy-seals-ordered-to-remove-dont-tread-on-me-navy-jack-from-uniforms/

I wasn't aware that it was ever "standard issue" but thought it was up to command discretion. I'm just really confused. Some guy on my facebook is all up in arms because he blames Obama, like this article does. I thought y'all could speak some sense into this nonsense...Thoughts?

by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:20 AM

Interesting.  We have a Don't Tread on Me flag that we used to hang at our old house.  I don't think it was ever standard issue either...but I'm really not sure.  I'm not sure if Obama was the sole decision maker in this though...I bet others weighed in heavily.

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:07 AM

My husband is Navy, and I have never heard of wearing this patch on uniforms, though I have heard the phrase...Is it only a Seal thing?....and now I am going to have to look at his ship next time I see it to see if the flag is flying.

Apollos82
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I've never heard of it, either. According to my husband, a Marine, SEAL day wear uniforms are identical to Master at Arms uniforms (don't know if that's correct or not) but I do know that NO US Military Dress uniform bears any flag on them whatsoever , and I *think* that a SEAL dress uniform is the only one unique to them. Also, their tactical gear/wear is unmarked...again, I think. This is just going off what my husband and I could figure out last night. There are images we found of the patches, but they certainly are not stander issue. 

We think it was just something that was up to command, like how often they get haircuts, etc, and now it's no longer at command discretion. People just don't understand it all, and thinks it's a blow to the Tea Party supporters in the military. I told my friend "No one got this upset when they couldn't roll their sleeves any more!" lol  

Quoting TonyaLea:

My husband is Navy, and I have never heard of wearing this patch on uniforms, though I have heard the phrase...Is it only a Seal thing?....and now I am going to have to look at his ship next time I see it to see if the flag is flying.

Apollos82
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. I doubt Obama is solely to "blame" for this. I also think it's one of those things that was up to command, but since the "Don't Tread on Me" flags and what not have become representative of the Tea Party and those that lean more that way, the military is trying to maintain it's neutrality. Kind of like how no uniforms may be used to represent political or religious views, etc. 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Interesting.  We have a Don't Tread on Me flag that we used to hang at our old house.  I don't think it was ever standard issue either...but I'm really not sure.  I'm not sure if Obama was the sole decision maker in this though...I bet others weighed in heavily.

Katkinson
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I don't think so. . It's a navy thing. From what I remember, it's a evolution of the Gadsden flag from the revolutionary war and ties in with Naval tradition because it was used for signaling purposes onboard ships during that time period. . . that is taken totally from recollection, so don't take that as gold. 

there's a few avid fact checkers on this board, so I'm sure they won't fail to correct me if I'm wrong!!!

Quoting TonyaLea:

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Haha, very true.  I did look up the history of the flag, but I was speaking more of was it a "Seal thing" to wear the patch on the uniform because I have never seen one on anyone.

Quoting Katkinson:

I don't think so. . It's a navy thing. From what I remember, it's a evolution of the Gadsden flag from the revolutionary war and ties in with Naval tradition because it was used for signaling purposes onboard ships during that time period. . . that is taken totally from recollection, so don't take that as gold. 

there's a few avid fact checkers on this board, so I'm sure they won't fail to correct me if I'm wrong!!!

Quoting TonyaLea:

Katkinson
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:19 PM

LOL-- Oh, the patch?  I have never seen anyone on DH's sub wearing one. . . so my guess would be sub guys don't typically wear them.  I've never seen anyone in the "regular" navy wear one either.  I've seen lots of people have one as a bumper sticker, though.   

I simply think it's ridiculous that some political group is more closely affiliated with that flag than the Navy is-- as far as history goes, the Tea-party is pretty new. . the Navy's been using that flag for over 200 years!  You think they could be a tad original ( but then again, I think we took it from another group centuries ago as well).   

Quoting TonyaLea:

Haha, very true.  I did look up the history of the flag, but I was speaking more of was it a "Seal thing" to wear the patch on the uniform because I have never seen one on anyone.

Quoting Katkinson:

Quoting TonyaLea:

Apollos82
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I don't think it's the flag, I think it's the phrase. The phrase "don't tread on me" is on many flags, including the Gadsden flag, which is the yellow one with a snake and the words on it. That one was made popular in the Revolutionary War as a symbol against tyranny....which is why the Tea Party use that one and the Navy Jack. 

Quoting Katkinson:

LOL-- Oh, the patch?  I have never seen anyone on DH's sub wearing one. . . so my guess would be sub guys don't typically wear them. 

I simply think it's ridiculous that some political group is more closely affiliated with that flag than the Navy is-- as far as history goes, the Tea-party is pretty new. . the Navy's been using that flag for over 200 years!  You think they could be a tad original. 

Quoting TonyaLea:

Quoting Katkinson:

Quoting TonyaLea:

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 5:11 PM
I always associate that with the Libertarian party.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN