Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Chaplain--tell me a little bit about them

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

OK, I'm considering talking to the chaplain in my DH's unit. I feel that I need to talk to someone. I have health insurance through my DH's civie job, but I can't afford the co-pay bc I'm a SAHM and I don't work right now. I would like to know a little bit about what the chaplain can do for military wives. Will talking to them be confidential?

Many thanx!

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sleepy_in_va
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:02 PM
I'm not completly sure. I hope someone has an answer for you though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Yes you have the option of going to the Chaplin yourself, however, I m not sure on the.disclosure with that. He/she may want to speak.with your spouse andor bring them in with you. What branch if service are you with?
DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this
The reason why I asked branch, is because I know with the marine corps, they have what's called MFLACS. It is completely confidential and free counseling for families or just spouses that need someone to talk to. It is so confidential that they keep no records, nor do they write anything down. They are contracted by the military, so they are not active duty or anything. If you know your FRO, you can contact them and they may be able to lead you to the right people. So confidential that they do not advertise even. They are not allowed to I guess?
SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Talking to my dh's chaplain has never been an option for me but you can get free counseling through Tricare with no referral. And you can go through a pastoral counseling service if you'd like.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 5, 2013 at 5:26 AM

Took the words right out of my mouth!  Hugs OP!

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Talking to my dh's chaplain has never been an option for me but you can get free counseling through Tricare with no referral. And you can go through a pastoral counseling service if you'd like.

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 5:56 AM

Unless you are a danger to yourself or others, the Chaplain should not have any reason to contact anyone else about you or what you talk about.  I think it's a good resource if you want someone to listen to you and talk with you; if you need to work through problems or issues, then it might be best to move to a counselor through Tricare.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Go to medical, speak to your PCP, and they will give you the referral for counseling. They will also give you are perscription for depression or anxiety meds if you ask for them, without any hassle. It's the one thing Military medicine is good for, they'll hand out Prozac like candy.

B1Bomber
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:58 AM

There is confidential counseling available through the AFRC/FRG (the name depends on your branch). You can get the info through the first sgt, ombudsman, key spouse, etc, or a chaplain can point you in the right direction.

As far as I know, though, chaplains are limited in the level of counseling they are allowed to provide.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Army.
Quoting DvlDogWfe:

Yes you have the option of going to the Chaplin yourself, however, I m not sure on the.disclosure with that. He/she may want to speak.with your spouse andor bring them in with you. What branch if service are you with?

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:26 AM

You can definitely talk to a chaplian. but they are not therapists and cannot guide you in any real way.

Since he is a reservist it changes how things work and if you do not have tricare Military one source can only give you referral for therapy but tricare cannot cover the costs.

you can also talk to your local pastor. priest  or minister  and get the same results -- maybe even better than talking to a unit chaplian.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)