Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

WWYD: Keep them or send them back? (PIOG)

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM
  • 10 Replies

I posted this in another group, but since we all tend to move more than the average person, I thought it was a good topic for this group too.

My sister just moved into a new home about a month ago. Before that, the house had been vacant for about 3 months. 

She said she has been getting magazine subscriptions from the previous owners for a couple of weeks. The first few she sent back (apparently they've received 5 different magazines so far) but when my BIL found out, he told her not to bother and to just keep them, 'since it has essentially been 4 months since the previous owners were there, they obviously didn't want them'.

My sister thinks it is wrong to keep them and insists on sending them back since she didnt pay for them. My BIL thinks it's no big deal.

So ladies, what would you do? Keep them or send them back?

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by Coco on Nov. 6, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Magazine subscription forwarding service does not last as long as for regular mail.  Honestly, if they are still coming 4 months after the other people moved, I would keep them.  The previous tenants should have notified the PO and magazines of their new address.

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:22 PM
It's really the subscribers job to change the address. I would try to forward them at first but by 4 months, I'd probably start tossing them.
sleepy_in_va
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Same here.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

It's really the subscribers job to change the address. I would try to forward them at first but by 4 months, I'd probably start tossing them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:20 PM

It is really easy to change your address for magazines, if they didn't do that they either didn't know how or didn't care to.  I would keep them.  They are paid for.  returning them to the sender doesn't mean they make it to the person who paid for it.  Might as well benefit from their laziness/ignorance :)

Katkinson
by Kristin on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd be too lazy to send them back.  I have better things to do with my time.  Technically, yes-- they weren't paid for so they really shouldn't be getting them.  HOWEVER, they have been paid for by SOMEONE.  And those someones were too lazy themselves to notify of an address change, so it's their loss. 

I'd keep them then donate to a dr's office, that way others can enjoy them as well.   JMO. 

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:28 PM
3 moms liked this

We took a big stack of mail back to the PO when we first moved into this rent house. We've been here since Feb and we still get magazines, so tough noogies. I'm keeping them now. 

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Yeah, I would send it back for the first month or two, but after that - if they're still going to send them, I'll read them.  Or start a fire with them...  or whatever.

JMmama
by Kara on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Honestly, it wouldn't have even occurred to me to send them back. I would write return to sender on mail but I wouldn't have thought to do it for magazines.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 7, 2013 at 5:15 AM

Exactly what I was going to say until I scrolled down and read your reply.  We moved in February (just across town), and our house had been empty for almost a year prior to us buying it.  I still get mail for random people that probably lived here over the past several years...magazines, junk mail, important mail, etc.  I just write "return to sender" on every single piece and put it right back in the mailbox.  No skin off my back.  Now for magazines...no, I would just keep them...sometimes I thought they were mine anyway!

Quoting JMmama:

Honestly, it wouldn't have even occurred to me to send them back. I would write return to sender on mail but I wouldn't have thought to do it for magazines.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I would keep the ones I wanted, but I always donate older magazines or the ones they send that I don't want.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)