Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Bug out bag

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:39 PM
  • 19 Replies

Do you have one!  Some people just call it an emergency kit, but I prefer the way bug out bag sounds.  My dh and I have been talking about putting one together for a long time.  We are going to put our camp stove, camp heater, extra propane, water, blankets, candles, lighters, flashlights, etc.  

We are watching American Blackout, so it is on my mind.

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:47 PM

No, we keep hurricane supplies though so there's some overlap. 

adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:50 PM
All I need to do is work on some kind of moonshine, or winery. I don't care what's happening in the rest if the world when the kids go to bed, mommy needs a drinky poo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by Coco on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM

That's basically what we are putting together.  It would be similar to a hurricane kit.  We lose power from ice storms every other year or so, so that is what we want to be prepared for.  We have everything, it is just all scattered.  We want to get it in one place.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

No, we keep hurricane supplies though so there's some overlap. 

cocoroo
by Coco on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm coming your way if anything happens.

Quoting adrianna1043:

All I need to do is work on some kind of moonshine, or winery. I don't care what's happening in the rest if the world when the kids go to bed, mommy needs a drinky poo.

AnAnxiousHeart
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:11 PM
We are working to create one. Tornados are generally the concern here and we are slowly beginning to build a kit up for emergencies.
sleepy_in_va
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Hubby has sort of a bag. Its mostly just for him at the moment. He calls it his "when shit hits the fan" bag. Its a72 hour kitat the moment. He would eventually like all of us in the family to have something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Haha! Priorities must be set, even at the supposed end of the world! Lol

Quoting cocoroo:

I'm coming your way if anything happens.

Quoting adrianna1043:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:21 AM
2 moms liked this

Kinda sorta.  Not all in one place though.  We have all our camping gear in a tote in the garage that has our propane stove and lantern, propane, fire starters, lighters, extra flashlights, hatchet, multitool, batteries, and that kind of stuff, next to our tent and below-zero sleeping bags.  It is also where I keep our emergency candles and matches.  I also have a "travel emergency kit" that I used to keep in my car when we used to live in the NW during winter.  It has some water bottles, first aid kit, some granola bars, emergency blankets and hand warmers, flares, hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes, ice scraper, crank flashlight, jumper cables, emergency whistle/compass, rain ponchos, and some dog treats.  And I have a comprehensive med kit that I keep in the closet in the bathroom.   It all got us through a 3-day power outage a couple years ago.

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 6:05 AM

Me  No way, I would rather live dangerously.  But DH, yep he's got two plastic tubs with all the emergency stuff in them--and he checks the stuff and replaces the batteries once a year.  Growing up with hurricanes will do that to you, I guess...

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Yup. Its our emergency kit. ( we lose power every time the wind blows. ) Its got all emergency supplies, and a case of MRE's :-/ Some of its emergency preparedness, and some of it is lingering PTSD.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)