Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Marine Corps Ball, and stuck up wives

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:23 PM
  • 80 Replies
We went to the Ball yesterday, and at our table was a Ssgt and his wife. They didn't acknowledge anyone besides another Ssgt and Gunny. They completely ignored the Sgt's (and their wives) at the table. My husband is a Sgt so he was ignored by them. They didn't even say hi, or make eye contact, never relied to anything, nothing. Like they didn't want to associate with anyone lower ranked. Ugh! I've heard of some people acting this way, but I unfortunately got to actually experience such behavior. Oooh I wish I could have told them how I felt! Anyone else ever come across couples like this?!
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM
2 moms liked this

popcorn

Katkinson
by Kristin on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Know what?  Not in my 10 years of dealing with the navy until THIS BOAT.  I guess that means we got lucky the past three commands.  It's not so much a rank thing for me as it is a "we don't know you, therefore we shall shun you and keep you in the dark" kind of thing. . . ( we geobach).  I'm lucky ( and it took about a year) to get my accurate information on the phone tree.  When that FINALLY happened, my phone tree caller would refuse to relay messages.  Three deployments went by until I got a phone tree caller that actually did their job and called me.  AND I had contacted the FRG on at least 4 occasions for notes, none of which were ever followed through with.  This means my kids and I missed mail out dates, video submissions, etc to send to the boat for previous deployments. 

It's gotten a lot better since I contacted the FFSC regarding the issue.  They still "shun" me to an extent, but now I just roll with it. I get all the important info and honestly their behavior doesn't say anything about me. . . it however says EVERYTHING about their character and the type of person they are. 

The messed up part is, my spouse's supervisor KNEW the powers that be were like this.  His significant other doesn't really participate.  He gave me HER phone number to get info, but I have NEVER EVER gone that route because it's not how things are supposed to go.  That's NOT who I am supposed to get info from, and I don't want to get her or myself ( or worse, our spouses) in trouble. 

Okie-chick
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes! Lol this chick I know who we started out by being friends. You better treat her by her husbands rank or there will be hell! Well I don't do fake people so we don't even speak. Her husband speaks to us though lol. Our ball is in December. I can just see the dirty looks she'll be giving us lol.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM
6 moms liked this

I think a lot of times it's misinterpreted and they're not stuck up at all.  But whatever.

dearestrachy
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Ouch. Well, whatever the reason, it just blows my mind when people are so rude to others! And I don't blame you for not getting info from his wife, that's not appropriate at all.

Quoting Katkinson:

Know what?  Not in my 10 years of dealing with the navy until THIS BOAT.  I guess that means we got lucky the past three commands.  It's not so much a rank thing for me as it is a "we don't know you, therefore we shall shun you and keep you in the dark" kind of thing. . . ( we geobach).  I'm lucky ( and it took about a year) to get my accurate information on the phone tree.  When that FINALLY happened, my phone tree caller would refuse to relay messages.  Three deployments went by until I got a phone tree caller that actually did their job and called me.  AND I had contacted the FRG on at least 4 occasions for notes, none of which were ever followed through with.  This means my kids and I missed mail out dates, video submissions, etc to send to the boat for previous deployments. 

It's gotten a lot better since I contacted the FFSC regarding the issue.  They still "shun" me to an extent, but now I just roll with it. I get all the important info and honestly their behavior doesn't say anything about me. . . it however says EVERYTHING about their character and the type of person they are. 

The messed up part is, my spouse's supervisor KNEW the powers that be were like this.  His significant other doesn't really participate.  He gave me HER phone number to get info, but I have NEVER EVER gone that route because it's not how things are supposed to go.  That's NOT who I am supposed to get info from, and I don't want to get her or myself ( or worse, our spouses) in trouble. 

dearestrachy
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:08 PM
That's how this girl acted! Nuh uh, not having it. I just wanted to be Like sorry sweetheart but you're nothing special. You're not a Marine, your husband is.

Quoting Okie-chick:

Yes! Lol this chick I know who we started out by being friends. You better treat her by her husbands rank or there will be hell! Well I don't do fake people so we don't even speak. Her husband speaks to us though lol. Our ball is in December. I can just see the dirty looks she'll be giving us lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. Happens all the time. Especially with the officers wives!
Okie-chick
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:10 PM
So far she's the only one I've dealt with. Army and Marines. Before my husband I dated a marine and the wives were all nice,especially to me,just the gf.

Quoting dearestrachy:That's how this girl acted! Nuh uh, not having it. I just wanted to be Like sorry sweetheart but you're nothing special. You're not a Marine, your husband is.

Quoting Okie-chick:Yes! Lol this chick I know who we started out by being friends. You better treat her by her husbands rank or there will be hell! Well I don't do fake people so we don't even speak. Her husband speaks to us though lol. Our ball is in December. I can just see the dirty looks she'll be giving us lol.

dearestrachy
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:12 PM
This was my first time coming across someone who acted this way. And my husband works with this Ssgt, I was told they act like that all the time and to not be surprised by their 'I'm better than you" attitudes. I'm sure there's misconceptions all the time on this stuff, but there's no mistaking this one.

Quoting jas_momof2:

I think a lot of times it's misinterpreted and they're not stuck up at all.  But whatever.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:14 PM
2 moms liked this

Never really had that issue. Then again, I don't really talk to people at all, so I am sure that a lot of people think I am stuck up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)