Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Marine Corps Ball, and stuck up wives

Posted by   + Show Post
We went to the Ball yesterday, and at our table was a Ssgt and his wife. They didn't acknowledge anyone besides another Ssgt and Gunny. They completely ignored the Sgt's (and their wives) at the table. My husband is a Sgt so he was ignored by them. They didn't even say hi, or make eye contact, never relied to anything, nothing. Like they didn't want to associate with anyone lower ranked. Ugh! I've heard of some people acting this way, but I unfortunately got to actually experience such behavior. Oooh I wish I could have told them how I felt! Anyone else ever come across couples like this?!
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
dearestrachy
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Same here. All the wives I've meet have been so nice and welcoming! This is the first girl I've met who wears her husband's title. So annoying!

Quoting Okie-chick:

So far she's the only one I've dealt with. Army and Marines. Before my husband I dated a marine and the wives were all nice,especially to me,just the gf.

Quoting dearestrachy:That's how this girl acted! Nuh uh, not having it. I just wanted to be Like sorry sweetheart but you're nothing special. You're not a Marine, your husband is.

Quoting Okie-chick:Yes! Lol this chick I know who we started out by being friends. You better treat her by her husbands rank or there will be hell! Well I don't do fake people so we don't even speak. Her husband speaks to us though lol. Our ball is in December. I can just see the dirty looks she'll be giving us lol.

dearestrachy
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:18 PM
I can see that happening. Never experienced it, but I can see how the title would go to their heads.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes. Happens all the time. Especially with the officers wives!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Well, it's hard to read people at times.  Did you speak to her at all?  The few times we've gone to events like that, I didn't talk to other people.  I didn't know many people and had no desire to go meeting people.  I enjoyed the evening with my husband, and that was it.  People might think I was rude or stuck up, but I wasn't.  I'm a "sit, watch, and listen" type of girl:)

dearestrachy
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Mhm! We were jumping in conversations, making jokes, asking questions, and at all times the sgt's and wives were ignored. There was definitely an effort on our part.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Well, it's hard to read people at times.  Did you speak to her at all?  The few times we've gone to events like that, I didn't talk to other people.  I didn't know many people and had no desire to go meeting people.  I enjoyed the evening with my husband, and that was it.  People might think I was rude or stuck up, but I wasn't.  I'm a "sit, watch, and listen" type of girl:)

dearestrachy
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Aww, there's a difference between shy/reserved and just downright being rude. I'm willing to bet that you respond to people that talk to you. These people don't.

Quoting usmclife58:

Never really had that issue. Then again, I don't really talk to people at all, so I am sure that a lot of people think I am stuck up.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:00 PM
2 moms liked this

LOL! I am neither shy or reserved. Nor am I rude. I just don't talk to people so much unless they are my friends. Most people get a smile, maybe a "hello, glad to see you", and that is it.

Quoting dearestrachy:

Aww, there's a difference between shy/reserved and just downright being rude. I'm willing to bet that you respond to people that talk to you. These people don't.

Quoting usmclife58:

Never really had that issue. Then again, I don't really talk to people at all, so I am sure that a lot of people think I am stuck up.

Photobucket

adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:19 AM
4 moms liked this
This is exactly why I don't like to go to events. I don't want to have to work a room so no one feels left out. I don't talk to people and I don't want them to think I'm stuck up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by Coco on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:42 AM

I only talk to officer wives and Senior NCO's.  Everyone else is below me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:48 AM
Lol. What is your husbands rank?

Quoting cocoroo:

cocoroo
by Coco on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:52 AM
4 moms liked this

None of your damn business, and it was a joke.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol. What is your husbands rank?

Quoting cocoroo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)