Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Marine Corps Ball, and stuck up wives

Posted by   + Show Post
We went to the Ball yesterday, and at our table was a Ssgt and his wife. They didn't acknowledge anyone besides another Ssgt and Gunny. They completely ignored the Sgt's (and their wives) at the table. My husband is a Sgt so he was ignored by them. They didn't even say hi, or make eye contact, never relied to anything, nothing. Like they didn't want to associate with anyone lower ranked. Ugh! I've heard of some people acting this way, but I unfortunately got to actually experience such behavior. Oooh I wish I could have told them how I felt! Anyone else ever come across couples like this?!
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Replies (71-80):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I ran into this constantly when fellow military wives found out I was also in the Army reserves.  For some reason they stopped talking with me once they found out.  

Apollos82
by Cassie on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:00 PM
I love Paul Mitchel products, especially the skinny serum. I practically wash my hair in it! lol I use The Shampoo (or shampoo 1 or something like that) or sometimes the tea tree oil one, and then just a basic conditioning rinse...and if I want my hair straight, ugh. It's, like, a four hour process. Not worth it! lol

Headed to Elfrida (near Tucson) here in a few weeks...looking forward to good hair for a week. lol Are you settling in well in your new location?

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Noooo, mine is thick and curly-ish (ahem, frizzy! lol). I use Paul Mitchell Super Sculpt and either Awapuhi Wild Ginger styling oil or the PM Super Skinny serum ... and a big round brush. I never had to use many products in Arizona, but when we moved to the Gulf Coast, my hair went crazy! 

Quoting Apollos82:

Is it naturally straight like that? I love the color! Mine is curly (read: fuzzy) and down past my mid-back. I need to get it cut...it's so heavy!

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Aw, thanks! I think I had about 8 inches cut off. It was liberating! lol 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dearestrachy
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:31 PM
That's really odd. I don't get why they'd stop talking to you. :/

Quoting Anonymous:

I ran into this constantly when fellow military wives found out I was also in the Army reserves.  For some reason they stopped talking with me once they found out.  

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Nov. 12, 2013 at 6:28 AM

Only once, when we were doing welcome home signs. The Company Commander and First Sergents wives walked in. neither one said anything to me or my friend. Heck seems like most my friends now are officer or high ranking NCO wives, they don't treat me any different as a SGT wife.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 12, 2013 at 6:46 AM

I could never figure it out either.  I honestly after a while stopped trying to make friends and focused on my children.  It kept me sane and grounded.  lol.  The worst was when were stationed in Washington DC and living on base.  That 10 months we lived there was the longest of my life!  I was never so happy to move off base and buy a house. 

I have been out of the reserves for about 6 years now.

Quoting dearestrachy:

That's really odd. I don't get why they'd stop talking to you. :/

Quoting Anonymous:

my4kids274
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Thankfully most military wives that I have interacted with are at least cordial and will engage in small talk with you.

I though have not been to a military ball in years.  The last one I attended was when I was still on active duty and stationed oversea with my husband. 

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Eh.  You will run into antisocial and stuck-up women everywhere.  Rank may not have had anything to do with it.  If they only spoke to upper-ranked, it may be because they felt they "had to" fake friendliness because of those people's seniority.  They weren't worth your trouble, I would rather have them ignore me than to play fake-nice to me.

mrspeterrabbit
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Yes, and trust me with people like that your not missing anything

4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this

i follow the "you get what you give" philosophy.... ergo...

Oddy_Knocky
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:13 PM
This thread did not disappoint.
And that's disappointing.
I've had a couple of people refuse to speak to me when they find out hubs rank. Good riddance.
I'm not a big talker so I may come off as snobby to you. I hope you didn't let it ruin your time. Shit happens.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)