Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Do You Think The Level of Respect Has Changed?

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:35 AM
  • 14 Replies

Do you think the average American citizen has as much respect for veterans today as citizens of two generations ago did?

Why or why not?

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:38 AM
Yes. We receive much more respect than during other wars such as Korean War and Vietnam War.
lucky2Beeme
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely. Look at how out soldiers of the Vietnam war were treated.

MichelleMc
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:05 AM
2 moms liked this

I think it really depends. If we are talking WWII, no. If we are talking Vietnam, yes. If we are talking in general, no. There is a lot of ways & reasons that they are disrespectful. Cuts & say, what do we need that for? THEY don't need this or that. Forgotten until a holiday or a conflict/campaign. Some think that only one branch does anything, and they aren't anyone that serves & thinks theirs is the best or anything. They are just niave & don't care to find out things. Christmas parades on a school night, at night, 2 weeks more into winter get hundreds to thousands, Veteran's Parades on Saturday, earlier by 2 weeks, get not even half the people to watch, and in the parade, not even 1/8. 

TippyD
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

yes and no. I think 5 years ago the respect was more.. however, I feel with how entitled some military members have becomes *and spouses/dependents*  with things like free concert tickets, heroes at home, etc..  that people are losing their patience and keep having their respect for soldiers knocked down a bit*key example, see the hateful comments on IHOPs page because they are not offering free meals today, even though unlike some of the companies that are, they offer military discount to military members AND their families! 

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this
No, I don't. I think there's less respect in general, in today's world.
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:18 AM

this

Quoting MichelleMc:

I think it really depends. If we are talking WWII, no. If we are talking Vietnam, yes. If we are talking in general, no. There is a lot of ways & reasons that they are disrespectful. Cuts & say, what do we need that for? THEY don't need this or that. Forgotten until a holiday or a conflict/campaign. Some think that only one branch does anything, and they aren't anyone that serves & thinks theirs is the best or anything. They are just niave & don't care to find out things. Christmas parades on a school night, at night, 2 weeks more into winter get hundreds to thousands, Veteran's Parades on Saturday, earlier by 2 weeks, get not even half the people to watch, and in the parade, not even 1/8. 

cuchiae
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Grandfather and Uncle WW2 lot os respect-Dad Korea- Lots of respect-Husband Viet Nam- no respect experienced downright hostility after 2 tours-Nepew-Iraq and Afghanistan Lots of respect Son Afghanistan lots of respect

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Well said mama!

Quoting MichelleMc:

TishHughes
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Mobile Photo

I looked because of TippyD's comment. Wowzers.
TishHughes
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Mobile Photo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)