Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

How short is too short?

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:14 PM
  • 32 Replies
For a ball gown, or dress? I've always gone with a cocktail type dress that is to the knees, but I have a super cute dress that is 2 or 3 inches above the knee. It's all black, and I'd wear it with black panty hose. What do you all think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sleepy_in_va
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this
For me personally if I'm going to a ball, like the marine corps ball, then I am going in a full length to the floor gown. If I was going to a semi formal wedding or party then I would be wearing the shorter dresses.

My thinking is dress the equivalent to your dh/so. To me if he is in dress blues that is considered a tuxedo in my mind so I will dress the same, very formal. If he's in say is alphas then I would be more towards the cocktail attire.

That is just my opinion. I've seen pictures of women in much trashier ourfits than what it sounds like you are talking about so really its up to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Haha I don't think the dress is the least bit trashy, but I don't want to be taboo.

Quoting sleepy_in_va:

For me personally if I'm going to a ball, like the marine corps ball, then I am going in a full length to the floor gown. If I was going to a semi formal wedding or party then I would be wearing the shorter dresses.

My thinking is dress the equivalent to your dh/so. To me if he is in dress blues that is considered a tuxedo in my mind so I will dress the same, very formal. If he's in say is alphas then I would be more towards the cocktail attire.

That is just my opinion. I've seen pictures of women in much trashier ourfits than what it sounds like you are talking about so really its up to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sleepy_in_va
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:32 PM
It seems like more women are going for the shorter dresses now a days. I just know I personally want to dress to match my husband and the event. The ball to me is formal so I wouldnt wear a short dress.

If you are going to wear black stockings under the dress than you may be able to pull it off. Good luck I'm sure you will look fine no matter what you decide!

Quoting adrianna1043:

Haha I don't think the dress is the least bit trashy, but I don't want to be taboo.

Quoting sleepy_in_va:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Ball implies floor length, but since fashion etiquette has gone by the wayside, so long as you're happy and feel comfortable in your chosen outfit that's all that really matters. 

adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Let me clarify a little it's not a "ball" it's a benefit type thing, but a lot of big brass will be there. I don't think I would ever go floor length. I tried some on in the past and I felt like I was going to explode into a thousand little Adrianna's. So it's either the cocktail or the shorter one.

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

Ball implies floor length, but since fashion etiquette has gone by the wayside, so long as you're happy and feel comfortable in your chosen outfit that's all that really matters. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Arwynn
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:02 PM
This.

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

sleepy_in_va
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Do you happen to know what the other wives will be wearing? Did you get an invitation that had what kind of attire was appropriate? If its more of a benefit it may be more cocktail attire.

Quoting adrianna1043:

Let me clarify a little it's not a "ball" it's a benefit type thing, but a lot of big brass will be there. I don't think I would ever go floor length. I tried some on in the past and I felt like I was going to explode into a thousand little Adrianna's. So it's either the cocktail or the shorter one.

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this
No, my crazy husband just told me about this a few days ago. I do not think that these ladies are going to be wearing adult prom gowns, but I'm hoping for a few so I can laugh inside myself.

Quoting sleepy_in_va:

Do you happen to know what the other wives will be wearing? Did you get an invitation that had what kind of attire was appropriate? If its more of a benefit it may be more cocktail attire.

Quoting adrianna1043:

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TippyD
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:57 PM

this.. dress uniform=floor length

Quoting sleepy_in_va:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM

depending on the type of benefit, you may actually be the one being laughed at with a shorter dress.. I would be asking a higher up wife/frg leader to see what appropriate attire would be.

Quoting adrianna1043:

No, my crazy husband just told me about this a few days ago. I do not think that these ladies are going to be wearing adult prom gowns, but I'm hoping for a few so I can laugh inside myself.

Quoting sleepy_in_va:

Quoting adrianna1043:

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)