Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Maternity ultrasound ?s/Tricare

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:10 AM
  • 26 Replies
Question!! With my DS when I got a positive pregnancy test my first step was getting an ultrasound to see how far I long I was, I got that then started seeing a doctor at the OB! I'm pregnant now again with baby #2 & I've had 2 appointments and I've only heard the heartbeat ... A nurse told me Tricare doesn't cover US anymore only one and at 20 weeks+ .. yet I have a friend at a different base with Tricare prime also that isn't high risk or Anything and just got one at 7 weeks to see how far she was.. I'm a bit frustrated ESPECIALLY since I'm high risk ( I don't get to see my HR dr til my appt in 6 weeks) I'm 11 weeks along I'm told and today the nurse said she thinks she heard two baby heart beats.. Which would me more high risk lol! I'm just wondering what I can do if anything ! I'll probably make a call to Tricare tomorrow to ask what's up but I figured id ask you ladies to weigh in you thoughts or opinions! TY!!
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:37 AM

I only had 1 with my daughter at 20 weeks. 

blondie.mom
by Charity on Nov. 22, 2013 at 2:10 AM
2 moms liked this
3 years ago I had multiple ultrasounds. I wasn't high risk, no complications, just a normal pregnancy. Tricare covered them all.
blondie.mom
by Charity on Nov. 22, 2013 at 2:11 AM
And congrats on the pregnancy :)
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 22, 2013 at 5:59 AM

Congrats mama!  I would maybe see if you can see another OB or your high risk OB sooner than 6 weeks if you are high risk especially if you're possibly having twins.  When I was pregnant with my son over 5 years ago, I got an ultrasound at my very first appointment when I was about 6-8 weeks.  I didn't get another one until 20 weeks, but then got ultra sounds every other week for the next 10 weeks then got them once each week for the last 7 weeks before I had my son.  He was special needs and we found this out when I was about 28 weeks pregnant.  

I know things have probably changed a lot since then but just wanted to share.  Good luck!

JMmama
by Kara on Nov. 22, 2013 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I just had a baby in August. I had a dating ultrasound, a second dating ultrasound after thy screwed up the first one, an ultrasound at 12 weeks for the first trimester screening, a 20 week ultrasound and a follow up to that at 26ish weeks. All were covered by Tricare.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Nov. 22, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Congrats! I had dating ultrasounds with my last 2 children who are now 6 & 4 and tricare covered them. Good luck!

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I had my son January 2010 and I had more ultrasounds than I could count but I had gestational diabetes, was measuring abnormally large and they were constantly checking the amount of amniotic fluid I had. I'll be honest the ultrasounds were the only thing I liked about my pregnancy! I hope you get more than just one. I suppose it depends on how closely your OB monitors you because if the doc says they NEED an ultrasound I imagine tricare would then cover it. I know originally I was only supposed to get two I think but then when I went high risk they never questioned any of the trips to the dr, meds, or ultrasounds and covered it all. Good luck, hope you get some answers soon!

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Nov. 22, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I was high risk and only had 1 at 20 weeks.

violinjewel
by Julia on Nov. 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM
I only had the 20 week ultrasound with my son, but I wasn't high risk, but that's all they would cover.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

There was a post about this a couple months back.  Apparently tricare doens't cover them anymore unless you are high risk and it is deamed medically necessary, but many doctors will code them so that tricare covers it anyway.  My youngest is 17 months and when I was pregnant with her I had a dating ultrasound and two 20-week ultrasounds and they were all covered, so I don't know if it was creative coding by my doctor or what.  She assured me they would all be covered when I asked her, and she was right.

I agree with calling your HR OB and asking if they can see you earlier, especially given the chance of twins.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)