Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Spoiled Turkey...

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 11:02 AM
  • 18 Replies

Never had a problem with Butterball turkeys and have been buying them for decades.  This year was no exception.  I took it out of the freezer Monday, stuffed it and popped it in the oven Thursday.  When I washed it, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.  It didn't smell different, etc.

It comes out of the oven and dh starts carving it.  I kid you not, there was a slimy consistancy (looked like snot) where the main veins are in the legs.  Then in the breast by the bone there were dark spots that looked like congealed cooked blood that ran the entire length of the breast - both sides.  We've never seen anything like it.  So we didn't eat it.  I was bummed.  No turkey, no stuffing. 

Called Butterball the next day and the rep said from what we described it sounds like it was spoiled.  I told her the steps we took from buying it to the oven and she agreed it wasn't anything we did.  Sooo - I'm getting a free turkey for Christmas.

How was your turkey?

by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Nov. 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Oh, no! I'm sorry that happened to you! I've never heard of a turkey spoiling like that. Ours was good! Hubby smoked it and then finished it in the IR cooker. It was just as good yesterday as it was on Thurs! :-)
JMmama
by Kara on Nov. 30, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Weird! Our turkey was fine. At least you are getting a free one!
adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Nov. 30, 2013 at 11:51 AM
3 moms liked this
I'm sorry to hear that. I'd be pissed. I'm still caught up in the fact that George Carlin was quoted and my grammar has been questioned. I can't help but feel good about that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Nov. 30, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Oh no! I have never had a spoiled turkey come to think of it. I can't remember the brand we had this year. It came free from Albertsons if you spent over $100.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I tried brining a turkey for the first time this year, and I've never made a turkey that was as juicy as this one, (and I normally deep fat fry my birds). It was delicous, I think I'll be doing them this way from now on.

That is a huge bummer about your turkey, but at least the company tried to make it right. I ordered a bird this year from a farm so I could have an organic free-range bird, and it was worth every penny.

cocoroo
by Coco on Nov. 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Hat sucks.  My crockpot turkey breast was amazing.  We just took it out and put it in the oven for an hour to crisp the skin up.

PinkButterfly66
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I didn't cook this year.  We went to a restaurant buffet.  It was yummy.

sleepy_in_va
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Oh bummer! Our turkey was great! I did an appel juice and apple jelly glaze then stuffed the bird with apples, onions and sage. It was yummy and moist.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SierraLynn
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Oh man that sucks.
Ours turned out pretty awesome. Dh at first bought a 28lb turkey. o_O I was not thrilled about it. But we ended up trading turkeys with my cousin who had a 14lb bird. They had about 20 people to feed and were going to buy a second but we traded and both ended up with what we needed since it was just us 4 and my mother and father in law.
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Nov. 30, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Admin, you're hilarious!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN