Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

What do your kids think your spouse does at work?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 6:17 AM
  • 61 Replies

Do they understand he's in the military?  Do they think he works in a building, field, ship, boat, etc.?  

I've heard some cute things from little kids over the years about what they think their dad does at work.  I think if my son could talk, he would say that his daddy works on submarines...that's about it though!

by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 6:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 6:41 AM
2 moms liked this

I think DH's kids think that he spends his days looking for ways to persecute them (they're 15-19)...it's just been that kind of week :)

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 7:14 AM

right now our kids fully understand what he does.... LOL doesn't do. nothing. he doesn't have a job title becuase they just closed his job, so there is no work for him for the next 6 months and he retires then so they won't move him and then move him again.

my kids say their dad " skates" all day :)

MichelleMc
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Things were so different when my son was little & my husband was on submarines. We basically "lived" down at the pier. The Captain was very family friendly & it was pre 9/11. You could park right next to the subs for goodness sake back then LOL. He was potty trained on a submarine. Every duty day we would be there to say hi at least for a little while. That was the norm, everyone came down. We would sit out on the pier & all would talk ( different families ) Captain when he would finally leave would stop & say hi to everyone. From a young age our son seen where daddy worked, his area, well things were covered of course. He was a sonar tech, but, he seen a lot of the submarine most times. He also got to see dads rack before a deployment, and just visiting the sub was normal. From age 2 standing and saluting for colors was normal. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2013 at 8:31 AM

My son is just turning 4 in January. He knows daddy works at the base at the squadron and teaches guys how to be airmen but I don't think he understands any of that. When he wakes up he asks if daddy is here, if I say no he sayas he's at the base. If he is home and comes downstairs he asks if he's going to work. We went once for the parents' "open house" on a graduation weekend so Collin could see the dorm so he has a SLIGHTLY better idea of where daddy works but he still doesn't get it. I try to point out the flights marching and practicing drill on the pad so he can see some if it but that's about it. I think his work in Security Forces, and especially K-9 was easier to understand than being an instructor is. All he knows is he is either at work or going to work all the time.

karla41164
by Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 8:43 AM

The kids know that Grandpa builds ammo and stuff and that daddy plays with them lolhave a nice day

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Do they know the ins and outs of war? No. Do they understand that there are bad people in the world and that daddy is trying to help the people they bad guys are trying to hurt? Yes. Right now his job is pretty easily explained, they know that Daddy is a teacher and that the Mids are his students.... they have even sat in on a few classes when DH was using them as examples of rewards and punishment. ( He teaches leadership and this particular lesson is probably the most useful one that he teaches. While he's "just parenting his kids" it brings to life the lesson at hand. Your soldiers/sailors must value the reward/punishment for the reward/punishment system to work.... its actually a really fun class to attend. I get a kick out of watching the Mids interact with the kids, 25 mids "babysitting" three kids for 30 minutes is a comedy show all in its self, and the fact that the 3 kids ruled the roost for one class was quite entertaining. )

Proud-USMC-Wife
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 10:04 AM
My husband is the Advanced Academics and Ear Training instructor for the Armed Forces School of Music. My kids know he's a teacher and he's a Marine... As for what they think all that entails.... I have no idea lol. Every time we've visited him at work they see him sitting at a desk with headphones on and a keyboard at hand... And candy in his top drawer lol
kadensmomma0708
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 10:04 AM

My husband is Army, and currently deployed.  One day my son looked at a plane in the sky and said "woahhhh!!!! wow!!! daddy flies, mommy!" So right now he thinks he flies planes.  he really is commo.

UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM

when my son was 3 he would tell people his daddy was in Afmanistan and Meraq(how he said it), but he wasn't shooting people, he was building stuff now! lol, my husband was Marine infantry , but is now a Navy Seabee electrician. It's a lot easier to tell the kids what daddy does now. My daughter shows off the purple heart ornament to family talking about his boo boos. They don't understand war, but they can show you on a map where Iraq and Afghanistan are. And yes, they both pronounce it properly now! lol

sahmw2010
by Beth on Dec. 3, 2013 at 10:46 AM
"He shoots the bad guys and keeps us safe" from my 9yr old. My 4yr old "hes a super hero and flyes and fights the bad guys" and my baby is too young to understand. Just knows daddy is gone lots
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)