Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Scared.....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies

Im sure most of us realize how bad things may truly get for Military members soon. With all of the proposed cuts I am just feeling extremely concerned. 

Were an Air Force family and they are going to be cutting 25,000 Airmen over the next 5 years. They said they will start with voluntary cuts of course but due to the vast number they will eventually resort to extreme force cut measures.

They have already started the process. They have eliminated almost every single re-enlistment bonus for all but 10 fields (46 fields were eliminated). They have also canceled retraining classes for those NCO's on the force retrain list. So now they are being left with very few options or to just separate from the service (which is obviously the point.

I told DH im extremely concerned because he is in his 3rd career field at present. He retrained into another career field 5 years ago when it was considered undermanned, it even had a re-enlistment bonus. Then eventually that bonus went away and they became overmanned. So then he landed on the retrain list again, he was vulnerable since he hadnt been in the field long. He retrained into Contracting which was SEVERELY undermanned and had the highest re-enlistment bonus (a max of $90,000). So that tells you how undermanned it was. Their skills and certifications are highly desirable and they pay VERY well on the outside, but not until you have your Bachelors and Level 2 certification. So the NCO's werent re-enlisting which is why they needed NCO's so bad.

Well they just completely canceled all bonuses for that field AND they are no longer on the retrain list of jobs that are undermanned. They are also letting brand new Contracting Officers out of their service committment. SO clearly the field is no longer undermanned. I told DH I am very fearful he will end up in the same boat again since he hasnt been in the field long (only 18 months). They come after the new people first. The problem is this time there nothing to retrain into so we would be SOL.

I just needed to vent and let out my frustrations... I know I cant be the only person worried about their Spouse losing their job, times are really getting tough. We just had another baby since we were in a good spot financially and that is making me worry all the more.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 3, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Dec. 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Don't know what to tell you.  Dh is retiring after 24 years in the same career field next year.  Can I ask why your dh has changed jobs so many times? 

(And dh hasn't has a bonus since he first enlisted all those years ago, so I really don't know what to tell you there as I always thought they were outrageous to begin with.)

UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 4:23 PM

You aren't alone. Military and civilian both have this same worry.  Losing your livelihood is a huge deal, especially if you're a one family income. Just be prepared, keep saving. My husband is Navy and went through P.T.S.  and even though he passed that, one year later he was put up for ERB (enlisted retention Board).  Fortunately, he was retained from that as well. We've lost 27 amazing friends to these two cuts that the Navy did. A few were even the best of the best, winning Sailor of the Year for their respective bases. Just plan and save more. Have an idea of where you would go/job opportunities for if he gets let go from the AF. Good luck, and congratulations on your newest addition!

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I'm very sorry :(.  Worry won't help anything so you just have to keep on keeping on and make wise choices from here on out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 3, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I hear ya. We're AF too. Hubs has just 5 more years until retirement. He HAS to make MSGT or we're in trouble and it took for.ev.er to make tech. I quit teaching when we had our son almost 4 years ago and do NOT want to go back, I've already started homeschooling my little guy and really don't want to have to put him in school. It's bad enough my DH has no clue what he wants to do when he gets out but it is even scarier to think what we will have to come up with if he gets separated early.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 3, 2013 at 5:00 PM
I’d be concerned if anyone’s career was at the 12 year point and trying to make retirement. Economy is so unstable out there and good jobs are hard to come by with good benefits.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 3, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Quoting jas_momof2:

Don't know what to tell you.  Dh is retiring after 24 years in the same career field next year.  Can I ask why your dh has changed jobs so many times? 

(And dh hasn't has a bonus since he first enlisted all those years ago, so I really don't know what to tell you there as I always thought they were outrageous to begin with.)

I wasnt worried about him getting a bonus trust me, I just want him to have a job. What I was saying with the bonus is that it going away shows how its no longer undermanned. DH didnt retrain by choice, he landed on the NCORP listing. Its a retrain program that forces you to retrain if you are high enough on the list. Being in an overmanned field is what puts you at risk to be on it. He was just unlucky that the first field he retrained into became overmanned, that doesnt typically happen. We are worried about that happening again, only this time there no other field to go into.

cocoroo
by Coco on Dec. 4, 2013 at 12:28 AM
My dh is Army with 13 years in. I worry, but I also know he has a really good military record and should be fine.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 4, 2013 at 5:37 AM

Same here...although my husband is Navy and he has 15 years in.  My husband is also in a rate with only 105 guys in the entire Navy.  

Quoting cocoroo: My dh is Army with 13 years in. I worry, but I also know he has a really good military record and should be fine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2013 at 6:45 AM

Quoting cocoroo: My dh is Army with 13 years in. I worry, but I also know he has a really good military record and should be fine.

My husband does as well. He has also made each rank on his first attempt so he is high ranking for his age/time in service. But that isnt going to save him if they decide his career field is overmanned.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Lifes a bitch. I don't know what else to say.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)