Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Top Choice

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 12:25 AM
  • 18 Replies

So its time for hubby to come up on orders and we are discussing options he is in a MOS that can go anywhere but we would like to be on the east coast. Our top choice are looking like Ft. Gordon, Ft. Jackson, and Ft. Sewart. How do you ladies this they are and would you suggest some others. Our kids will be 8,5,2 when get to the new place so good schools. Our families live in VA and MD but he was told today those are not options right now for him so we want to be kinda close and no airborne he has been stuck in airborn units for 6 years and is not airborne and cant go.

by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by Coco on Dec. 4, 2013 at 12:44 AM
1 mom liked this
If you go to Stewart, live in Richmond Hill. The schools in Hinesville are horrible. We lived in RH for 2 years and it is a nice town, close to Savannah and the schools are some of thr best around.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 4, 2013 at 5:35 AM

My mom lives in Savannah.  My cousin and his family (also Army) are in RH too...he's stationed at Stewart, and they love the area there!

Quoting cocoroo: If you go to Stewart, live in Richmond Hill. The schools in Hinesville are horrible. We lived in RH for 2 years and it is a nice town, close to Savannah and the schools are some of thr best around.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 4, 2013 at 5:35 AM

Good luck!

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 11:13 AM

You will be lucky to get a choice in the matter. Consider yourselves blessed. 

cocoroo
by Coco on Dec. 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM
We got to choose, kind of. My dh asked for Italy. They had nothing. He said anywhere in Europe. We got one of the least desirable Germany installations, lol.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Army must have it way better than the Navy.

I've been on here for months constantly bitching that the Navy ruined our lives and didn't give us a choice, turns out, we weren't the only ones. Of the 8 people that have checked into my husband's command or the squadron next to it, none of them got a choice. They were all sent here against their will, hand picked by the powers that be here on the Navy side at Tinker. My husband's LT and Master Chiefs all keep slapping him on the back and telling him how they, personally, got him here like they did him a huge favor.

I'm kind of hoping that my husband takes me to his Christmas party, so that I can meet these people, and quietly tell them exactly what I think of them. See, at a Christmas party, I can blame it on the booze. :-)

Quoting cocoroo: We got to choose, kind of. My dh asked for Italy. They had nothing. He said anywhere in Europe. We got one of the least desirable Germany installations, lol.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

cocoroo
by Coco on Dec. 4, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Ultimately it comes down to needs of the Army. My dh just knows how to talk to people to get what he wants. It took him going from regular Army to Ranger Bn to get us out of Wa the first time.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I've been on here for months constantly bitching that the Navy ruined our lives and didn't give us a choice, turns out, we weren't the only ones. Of the 8 people that have checked into my husband's command or the squadron next to it, none of them got a choice. They were all sent here against their will, hand picked by the powers that be here on the Navy side at Tinker. My husband's LT and Master Chiefs all keep slapping him on the back and telling him how they, personally got him here like they did him a huge favor.

I'm kind of hoping that my husband takes me to his Christmas party, so that I can meet these people, and quietly tell them exactly what I think of them. See, at a Christmas party, I can blame it on the booze. :-)

Quoting cocoroo: We got to choose, kind of. My dh asked for Italy. They had nothing. He said anywhere in Europe. We got one of the least desirable Germany installations, lol.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 1:34 AM

I dont' know anything about those places but I wish you all the best!

MichelleMc
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:31 AM

We always got stationed where we wanted in the Navy, hmm. Our friends were all lucky that way too. Maybe we just liked the options available LOL. 

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I've been on here for months constantly bitching that the Navy ruined our lives and didn't give us a choice, turns out, we weren't the only ones. Of the 8 people that have checked into my husband's command or the squadron next to it, none of them got a choice. They were all sent here against their will, hand picked by the powers that be here on the Navy side at Tinker. My husband's LT and Master Chiefs all keep slapping him on the back and telling him how they, personally, got him here like they did him a huge favor.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Michelle, Body Combat Addict 
Proud Mom of Jonathan, Army Soldier and Eagle & Vigil Scout
Proud Navy Submarine Vet WifeTo Jake

Join us in the  Pennsylvania Moms group.

MichelleMc
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Most people I have heard don't care for Jackson at all. How bad the base is, but I can't tell you from experience. I have heard only good things of Stewart & the area. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)