Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

random acts of kindness

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this
I was watching TV and they were talking about Paul Walker who just passed on. He was at a jewelry store and overhead a military couple looking at rings and that they couldn't afford the ring they were admiring. He bought it for them! *tear drops* It got me thinking about all the times people have shown kindness to me and my family. We've had countless meals paid for by strangers over the years. And once when I was pregnant I was at a furniture store and was taking a break in a recliner. I told my husband it was too comfortable to get out of. A lady came up to me and said she was a waitress and that she had seven grown children and one of her greatest memories was curling up on her recliner with them at night. She said she was paying for it with her tips of the day. I was really trying hard to talk her out of it, but she went up and paid for it anyway. Makes me choke up every time I think of it. Since its the holidays and with the spirit of giving, what are some your experiences with random acts of kindness? Do you do them or have had them done for you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow, that is pretty cool! 

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

That recliner story made me tear up!  That was just too sweet!

We went to pay for our meal at a restaurant once, and the waiter told us that a gentleman that had already left had taken care of it for us.  That was pretty awesome.  

The only other thing I remember is when I was a Sophomore in college, I was walking to school one day and it started to downpour out of nowhere.  I was drenched and still had a half mile to go, and a professor pulled over and insisted I let him drive me the rest of the way.  

MichelleMc
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:48 AM
2 moms liked this

Never had a meal or anything ever paid for. 

People have stopped to help us if we were broke down. We have helped many people broke down or stuck in the bad weather. We are always volunteering or helping out with a lot of different things. 

DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Just a couple weeks ago traveling with my DS to and from my sisters wedding I encountered some helpful people at the airport. Being it was just me with my 2 year old, I recieved help with my bags, car seat, etc. On flying from Hawaii back to the mainland was a long trip in itself. On the flight back to Hawaii, my son and I shared a row of seats with an older woman. We were talking a bit and she told me of her grandchildren. She was so helpful in keeping my son entertained for the long flight. She had rented one of those tablets from the airline and instead of watching what she wanted, she played cartoons for my son. Her husband was sitting across the aisle and when it was time for our meal, they purchased our meal for us, without me knowing. Once we landed, both of them helped me with my carry on bags and then walked with us down to baggage claim to help with my son's car seat. If this wasn't enough, they then helped me flag down a taxi to be sure I made it home. I had never run into as nice of strangers as I did that day. I do plan on "paying it forward" the next chance I see.

adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:48 PM
That's so nice:) what an angel!

Quoting DvlDogWfe:

Just a couple weeks ago traveling with my DS to and from my sisters wedding I encountered some helpful people at the airport. Being it was just me with my 2 year old, I recieved help with my bags, car seat, etc. On flying from Hawaii back to the mainland was a long trip in itself. On the flight back to Hawaii, my son and I shared a row of seats with an older woman. We were talking a bit and she told me of her grandchildren. She was so helpful in keeping my son entertained for the long flight. She had rented one of those tablets from the airline and instead of watching what she wanted, she played cartoons for my son. Her husband was sitting across the aisle and when it was time for our meal, they purchased our meal for us, without me knowing. Once we landed, both of them helped me with my carry on bags and then walked with us down to baggage claim to help with my son's car seat. If this wasn't enough, they then helped me flag down a taxi to be sure I made it home. I had never run into as nice of strangers as I did that day. I do plan on "paying it forward" the next chance I see.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by Coco on Dec. 6, 2013 at 1:18 PM
3 moms liked this

We got a $500 shopping spree at the commissary.  My dh was an E3 and I was pregnant with our 4th child.  It was amazing.  The manager was told to pick a young family at his discretion and he chose us.

We had a stranger pay for our lunch one day in Tacoma.

I was with my kids at Red Robin and there was an old lady and her mother having lunch at the table next to us.  They were so cute.  My kids and I were talking to them.  It was the mother's birthday.  I paid for their lunch. They knew it was me because the waitress told them, duh.  Anyway, they both started crying, have the kids and I hugs, and kept saying thank you.  It was an amazing experience for me.  It felt so good to make them that happy.

ktleigh
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Random acts of kindness are one of my favorite things to do, we do several a month from paying for the cars coffee behind us to dropping off fresh cookies to a nuring home we drove by.  My daughter loves to slip $1 bills into children's books the library and handing out fresh flowers to people walking out of the store.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 6, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Two days ago, an elderly lady at wal-mart had used the last of her ss money and was counting pennies to come up with an extra $5 to pay for her stuff.  I paid the rest of her bill off.  She gave me a hug.  Made me feel really good, she was buying what looked like food and gifts for grandkids-- character pillows and stuff. 

Posting anon for the obvious reason.  I didn't do it to prove I'm awesome, I did it becauuse I felt bad for the lady.  Now is the time of year to step up and help others!

cocoroo
by Coco on Dec. 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I do not think myself and the others who didn't post anon did it show we are awesome.  We were answering the post.  I don't do stuff like that to impress other people.

Quoting Anonymous:

Two days ago, an elderly lady at wal-mart had used the last of her ss money and was counting pennies to come up with an extra $5 to pay for her stuff.  I paid the rest of her bill off.  She gave me a hug.  Made me feel really good, she was buying what looked like food and gifts for grandkids-- character pillows and stuff. 

Posting anon for the obvious reason.  I didn't do it to prove I'm awesome, I did it becauuse I felt bad for the lady.  Now is the time of year to step up and help others!

adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Dec. 6, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Haha that would be weird wouldn't it?!

Quoting cocoroo:

I do not think myself and the others who didn't post anon did it show we are awesome.  We were answering the post.  I don't do stuff like that to impress other people.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)