Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for fort richardson alaska please

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM
  • 8 Replies

We just got word we are headed there in may. We know nothing about the area/ base i looked up other blogs about the area but they are all older posts. Any advice would be great. Thank you so much

by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
B1Bomber
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Anchorage is a great town. Fort Rich (now JBER) is on the northeastern side of town, so if you are looking to live off base, you want to look in the Muldoon or Eagle River areas. There are very nice neighborhoods down by the Tudor, Dimond, and Potter's Marsh areas, but that's an icky commute.

The Anchorage public schools are pretty good, although East High School is a little rough (and I don't know anything about the individual elementary schools). There is always stuff going on, no matter the weather - Fur Rondy in March, Solstice celebrations in June, Greek, Russian, and Filipino festivals, etc. 

Keep an eye on the Space A flights - you can get to Kodiak or Seattle very easily. Since AK is considered OCONUS, you might even be able to fly without the sponsor.

RyliesMommy12
by New Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Yes thank you. We ar actually stationed at fort lewis right now love it!! And my parents live here i saw there was flights to mcchord everyweek i am so exited for that. Do you know anything about on post housing at all. We love living on base since we have a 2 year old makes life alot easier. Als how are the prices i heard its so expensive. Thank you!!!

sleepy_in_va
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 1:21 PM
All I know from a friend that is there is that there are lots of Moose..lol

Good luck with your move!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I met a couple that were at Elmendorf for almost five years and they loved AK!  I saw pictures of their house (awesome A frame in a wooded setting) and they wouldn't mind going back there.  Me, I've only been there as a tourist, and not during the winter, so I can say that it's beautiful in the summer :)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 7, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Welcome and good luck!

B1Bomber
by Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I don't know much about base housing, but I know the commissary and exchange are very large and very nice, especially considering the high prices off base. 

Also, when you get there, I recommend two places: Title Wave (huge used bookstore) and Middle Way Cafe (amazing coffee shop/restaurant next door, slightly pricy but WORTH it).

TheartAH
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Search "Elmendorf" or JBER on here and you will get a lot of info. I was there 04-07. Base housing is newer and decent sized. Some is very squished together though and there was (still is from someone I talked to recently) a lot of wife drama. I don't do well with drama so that was tough for me. If you like outdoors activities you will be happy. I'm more of an indoor girl who prefers sunshine so I couldn't wait until our time was up. Now that my kids are older it might not be soo bad though, not much to do with an in infant in sub zero temps...
RyliesMommy12
by New Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Great thank you everyone!!  I am exited to experience so ething different 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)