Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Guess I am now the mean mommy!

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 3:01 AM
  • 16 Replies

Kids were told yesterday to pick up rooms. My 8 yr olds room was a complete mess. My 4 yr olds just needed arranged. My husband gave them 2 hours, no clue why that long. Well they had 20 mins left and decided to mess around instead so I took back 2 of their big gifts. They had warning that it was going to happen. They didn't seem as mad when I got home and I explained to them, that if they can't keep their rooms clean they didn't need more to mess it up. 

by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 3:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:04 AM

Bummer.  Well, hopefully they will follow directions next time and actually clean their rooms when they are told to do so.  Personally, I would have found another way to punish them, but that's just me.  Different strokes for different folks.  

AnAnxiousHeart
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I have been making my kids write essays about bad behavior lately when they are difficult. They hate it so it helps deter them being a pain. They had to write an essay about how awesome the other one was and present it to the family when they couldnt quit arguing.
Katkinson
by Kristin on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Ugh.  My kids do that all the time, mess around when they are supposed to be picking up their rooms.  We started giving them extra chores if they go past their time limit.  They always get their rooms cleaned and inspected by the time the alarm goes off now. . . and when I say extra chores, I mean about 15-30 mins worth.  If they complain about their extra chores, they get more on top of that.  They learned very quickly to keep their mouths shut and focus on the task at hand, or they'll end up doing more!

I was worried they'd take on a view of chores being bad or a punishment, but they do their 10-15 mins of daily chores automatically with no problem.  We also tidy up before we do something fun on the weekends. . . I emphasise we have to do our work before we have fun. . . so I guess they kind of get rewarded for doing chores as well. ..

but anyway. . . it works for my kids!

adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with this, when my boys act out I give out lectures. My lectures are pretty bad ass if I do say so myself. They still act out once in a while cause it's natural. Especially in the winter.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Bummer.  Well, hopefully they will follow directions next time and actually clean their rooms when they are told to do so.  Personally, I would have found another way to punish them, but that's just me.  Different strokes for different folks.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Dec. 9, 2013 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this
We put everything that is laying around or out of place on top of their bed, so if they want to go to bed that night, they have to get it all put away.
TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 12:30 PM

That is AWESOME!  I am logging this idea away for later :)

Quoting AnAnxiousHeart: I have been making my kids write essays about bad behavior lately when they are difficult. They hate it so it helps deter them being a pain. They had to write an essay about how awesome the other one was and present it to the family when they couldnt quit arguing.

TonyaLea
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL, I like that one too.  Maybe we need to start a post for awesomely creative punishments.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed: We put everything that is laying around or out of place on top of their bed, so if they want to go to bed that night, they have to get it all put away.

erin708
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 12:47 PM
We set the timer on the microwave. And whatever is left on the floor goes in a garbage bag. They lose it for a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleMc
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have found a different punishment for sure. And the same punishment for two large age gaps is not for me either. But hopefully they will follow directions next time for you. 

twinkersmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Well I would love to read other ideas. I can't put things on one of my kids' bed. She likes to sleep with everything in it as it is. She is the one that likes to get my approval but yet she has the messiest room. She has too much stuff animals. I go through her things all the time. I don't buy them toys much. I can't remember what was the last thing and when I bought it. Organization is an issue we are working on also.

Quoting TonyaLea:

LOL, I like that one too.  Maybe we need to start a post for awesomely creative punishments.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed: We put everything that is laying around or out of place on top of their bed, so if they want to go to bed that night, they have to get it all put away.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)