Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Snapping a 'Selfie' At a Funeral...Appropriate or Not?

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM
  • 23 Replies

Obama Takes Funeral Selfie at Nelson Mandela's Memorial Service (PHOTO)

by Jenny Erikson

Oh my. Presidents are sometimes clichéd as being woefully out-of-touch when it comes to current technology, and it seems that President Obama is keeping up that pretense.

At Nelson Mandela’s funeral, Barack Obama was snapped taking a selfie with British Prime Minister David Cameron and Denmark’s Prime Minister Helle Thorning. Michelle Obama can be seen seated nearby, and she does not look amused.

Michelle judges you, Barack.

It’s a funeral, Mr. President. I know you’re excited to see your world-leader buddies, but couldn’t you save the picture taking until after such a somber occasion? I can just see the Facebook status update to accompany the photo: “Barack Obama checked in at FNB Stadium in Johannesburg, South Africa: So sad about Mandela, but seeing these guys is really helping me pull through. RIP.”

Do you think Obama’s selfie snapping at Nelson Mandela’s memorial service was inappropriate?

by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM
6 moms liked this
I'm not a fan of Obama, but I think it's disgusting how people pick him apart for every little thing. Where is the article about Dubbya's selfie with Bono? Neither one of them did anything wrong. Funerals and memorials are not strictly somber events like you see on TV. Even while one person's life is being honored and their death observed, life goes on. People are still happy. The world still turns.
Reina13
by Reina on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I think it is inappropriate whether it is a former world leader or the man next door, however I don't think people need to nitpick every little thing he does either. 

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Dec. 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM

This...

Quoting chrlstoncharmed: I'm not a fan of Obama, but I think it's disgusting how people pick him apart for every little thing. Where is the article about Dubbya's selfie with Bono? Neither one of them did anything wrong. Funerals and memorials are not strictly somber events like you see on TV. Even while one person's life is being honored and their death observed, life goes on. People are still happy. The world still turns.

DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Dec. 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree. Michelle Obama always looks pissy unless she is purposely smiling for the camera.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed: I'm not a fan of Obama, but I think it's disgusting how people pick him apart for every little thing. Where is the article about Dubbya's selfie with Bono? Neither one of them did anything wrong. Funerals and memorials are not strictly somber events like you see on TV. Even while one person's life is being honored and their death observed, life goes on. People are still happy. The world still turns.
TippyD
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 12:07 PM

yup.. I could see if this was as others were speaking, however, this was probably before, in between speakers, etc.. kwim? 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 11, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I'm with Melissa on this one.  

USAFamily
by Melissa on Dec. 11, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Honestly, although this wasn't technically a funeral I do find this behavior pretty embarrassing. And I'm an Obama supporter :\

lizzielouaf
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone but there is a story behind the story. 

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-funeral-selfie-152731325.html

The photographer who captured President Barack Obama, Danish Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt and U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron taking a selfie at Nelson Mandela's memorial service on Tuesday insists Michelle Obama's stern reaction seen in the photo was not directed at the group.

• "I later read on social media that Michelle Obama seemed to be rather peeved on seeing the Danish prime minister take the picture," Roberto Schmidt, the Agence France-Presse photographer who took the photo, wrote in a blog post. "But photos can lie. In reality, just a few seconds earlier the first lady was herself joking with those around her, Cameron and Thorning-Schmidt included. Her stern look was captured by chance."

That didn't stop the tabloids from splashing the first lady's reaction shots on their covers.

"Michelle's beside her selfie over flirty 'Bam," the Daily News declared.

"Flirting With Dane-Ger!" the New York Post warned.

"No Selfie Respect," the U.K.'s Sun said.

Schmidt also defended the world leaders' decision to take a selfie at the memorial service.

"All around me in the stadium, South Africans were dancing, singing and laughing to honor their departed leader," Schmidt wrote. "It was more like a carnival atmosphere, not at all morbid."

Tuesday's event was not a funeral. Nonetheless, the "Selfies at Funerals" Tumblr, which documented the aforementioned trend, categorized the group's selfie as one.

"Obama has taken a funeral selfie," Jason Feifer, the site's creator, wrote. "So our work here is done."

Schmidt claims he was surprised by the controversy his photos generated.

“I took these photos totally spontaneously, without thinking about what impact they might have," he wrote. "At the time, I thought the world leaders were simply acting like human beings, like me and you. I guess it’s a sign of our times that somehow this image seemed to get more attention than the event itself. Go figure.”

TippyD
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 9:21 PM
2 moms liked this

honestly, i find the fake interpreter more disturbing, he was standing FEET away from Obama and numerous other world leaders.. the even organizers are lucky it wasn't a killer.

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Pretty much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN