Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

MOS question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
I am trying to help my 18 ds find some direction. He is interested in a degree on computers/technology. Which branch is the best for this (cyber security or drones?) please don't tell me marines my older ds took that path and it wasn't a good experience.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 15, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Katkinson
by Kristin on Dec. 15, 2013 at 7:19 PM
2 moms liked this

I was an IT in the navy ( Information Systems Technician)

Onboard a ship, they work with networks and communications circuits.  I was stationed at a weather command.  I was computer help desk ( assisted officers and enlisted with computer and networking problems) and maintained the ground equipment for the GOES weather satellites.  I also ran wiring, installed security patches/software patches, and assisted in maintenance ( both hardware and software related) with our servers. 

Pretty cool job, especially if you're the tech that gets to work on the skiff equipment.  I was #2 for that. .. whenever my LPO wasn't available, I took care of the skif trouble tickets.  Made me feel like secret squirrel.  LMAO. 

Here's the specs for the job.  AR+2MK+GS=222 or AR+MK+EI+GS=222

Those are the individual test scores he must make in order to qualify for this rate. 

My suggestion would be to go to the book store or library and get a copy of the practice asvab book and STUDY!! 

It is NOT an intelligence test.  I took the test with an honors college grad who didn't even score high enough to join. . . I struggled in high school somewhat and ended up getting a raw score of 79. 

PRACTICE DOES HELP THOUGH.  By BIL got in the 50's the first time he took it.  After studying, he scored high enough for the Navy's ET rate, which requires a high asvab score as well. 

GOOD LUCK TO HIM!  ( go navy)  LOL!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 15, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I wish your son the best...I don't have any advice for you though...no experience with those jobs.  Good luck!

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I was an IT once upon a time as well. Also at a weather command.

Quoting Katkinson: I was an IT in the navy ( Information Systems Technician)
Onboard a ship, they work with networks and communications circuits.  I was stationed at a weather command.  I was computer help desk ( assisted officers and enlisted with computer and networking problems) and maintained the ground equipment for the GOES weather satellites.  I also ran wiring, installed security patches/software patches, and assisted in maintenance ( both hardware and software related) with our servers. 
Pretty cool job, especially if you're the tech that gets to work on the skiff equipment.  I was #2 for that. .. whenever my LPO wasn't available, I took care of the skif trouble tickets.  Made me feel like secret squirrel.  LMAO. 
Those are the individual test scores he must make in order to qualify for this rate. 
My suggestion would be to go to the book store or library and get a copy of the practice asvab book and STUDY!! 
It is NOT an intelligence test.  I took the test with an honors college grad who didn't even score high enough to join. . . I struggled in high school somewhat and ended up getting a raw score of 79. 
PRACTICE DOES HELP THOUGH.  By BIL got in the 50's the first time he took it.  After studying, he scored high enough for the Navy's ET rate, which requires a high asvab score as well. 
Katkinson
by Kristin on Dec. 15, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Really?  Crazy! 

I was at NPMOC-JTWC  We had a pretty small Tech department. . . three ET's, 4 IT's and 3 civilians.  By the time I left we had Two IT's ( me and my LPO) and 4 civilians. 

Quoting ReadWriteLuv: I was an IT once upon a time as well. Also at a weather command.

Quoting Katkinson: I was an IT in the navy ( Information Systems Technician)

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Dec. 15, 2013 at 8:03 PM
In the Army, 15 series works with drones. 15W is an operator. Here's an article on cyber security:

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20130408/CAREERS/304080008/

USAFamily
by Melissa on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Air Force has a very strong Cyber Security/Drone program. They are both in different groups- Cyber Security can be Security Forces, but there is also Cyber Security in Communications. The Drone program is it's own beast. I only know one person involved in it and they truly like it, but I don't have much info. Good luck!

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I know Air Force has both of those career fields but that's all I can offer you.

shiningjoy
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Have have him sit down and talk to each branch and tell them what his interest is. The only advice I will give is this, Army is the only branch that will give you a specific job before you leave.  

Katkinson
by Kristin on Dec. 16, 2013 at 12:38 PM

This isn't true.  I knew what my rate was going to be before I left for boot camp as well, I was Navy.   

Quoting shiningjoy:

Have have him sit down and talk to each branch and tell them what his interest is. The only advice I will give is this, Army is the only branch that will give you a specific job before you leave.  

Dolcepsle
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Air Force or Navy
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)