Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you say when someone asks you what your husband's rank is?

Posted by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 8:27 PM
  • 177 Replies

This is a serious question, and I'm just curious how you ladies handle this question.  I'm talking about someone you know...maybe a new friend or an acquaintance who is slowing becoming a friend.  I'm not talking about some random wife in your spouse's command or a stranger.  

Have you ever had someone like that flat out ask you what your spouse's rank is?  What was your response?

Another little boy who goes to therapy at the same place Brady does...his mom asked me the other week what my husband's rank was.  They are Air Force, and I think she knew that we were Navy, but I'm not sure.  I was caught off guard and wasn't expecting that question, so I actually asked her to repeat it as I said I didn't hear her.  It was awkward to me....is it ever awkward for you?  I don't see it any different than if you were to ask one of your civilian friends how much money they make at their job....I think it's rude.  Maybe it's just me.  Thoughts?

by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
UrnAsh
by New Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I tell them. I haven't been asked this many times but I don't mind answering because it's not that big of a deal to me.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 22, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Interesting.  So, you wouldn't mind someone asking you point blank how much money you make at your job?  

Quoting UrnAsh:

I tell them. I haven't been asked this many times but I don't mind answering because it's not that big of a deal to me.

UrnAsh
by New Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Interesting.  So, you wouldn't mind someone asking you point blank how much money you make at your job?  

Quoting UrnAsh:

If we were friends, no, I wouldn't mind.. Like I said I haven't been asked this many times. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 22, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Quoting UrnAsh:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting UrnAsh:

If we were friends, no, I wouldn't mind.. Like I said I haven't been asked this many times. 

Different strokes for different folks:)  Maybe I'm just the uptight one...LOL!  

UrnAsh
by New Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 8:49 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting UrnAsh:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting UrnAsh:

Different strokes for different folks:)  Maybe I'm just the uptight one...LOL!  

Nah.... I just don't have many friends lol.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Dec. 22, 2013 at 9:17 PM
4 moms liked this

It's not that big of a deal and it's not necessarily about money.  May she's just trying to find common ground. 

cocoroo
by Coco on Dec. 22, 2013 at 10:32 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't care.  I don't think of it as a money thing.  If someone asks me, I will tell them.

Aqua_Jen
by Gold Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Pretty much this. It's not something *I* ask but I think I think its a fairly common question.

Quoting cocoroo:

I don't care.  I don't think of it as a money thing.  If someone asks me, I will tell them.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Dec. 22, 2013 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I just tell them.

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 11:05 PM
2 moms liked this
People ask me every now and then. I always get confused on the difference between "rank" and "rate" so I always have to take a minute and figure out which one they are asking me. If I realize they truly want to know his rank, I just tell them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)