Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Air Force to cut 25,000 airmen. Retention boards begin in June for senior airmen thru tech

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:39 PM
  • 41 Replies
Any other af family worried about this?

It will be voluntary splits at first, then they begin with the forced cuts if they don't get enough volunteering.

Also, according to Randolph retention boards will begin in June for senior airmen thru tech based on date of rank before jan 2013 in overmanned career fields
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsary
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:40 PM
The Army started reduction boards years ago and it sucks!
USAFamily
by Melissa on Dec. 31, 2013 at 4:29 AM

We aren't personally worried about it- my husband is in an undermanned career field. He can opt for early retirement if he wants, but they can't force him out.

It really sucks for a lot of other service members being forced to get out. Hopefully, this will also encourage people to perform at their best and weed out some of the people who really should get out anyway.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 31, 2013 at 7:50 AM

At least it's over the coarse of five years. 

"During testimony to the House Armed Services Committee in November, Gen. Mark A. Welsh III, the Air Force chief of staff, said long-term impacts of sequestration could force the service to cut about 25,000 Airmen over the next five years."

Katkinson
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Yeah, the Navy has been doing this as well, it started around or right after I got out ( 2004) they called it "preform to serve".  You had to advance ( both officer and enlisted) within a certain time period for E-5 and below, otherwise you were out.  I think officers had a similar situation. They also became more strict on failing PRT's and the policies involved with that.  It's not as extreme ( I think) as the other branches, but if I remember correctly, they set up these guidelines for the same reason---to effectively slim down the fleet 's numbers without weakening it.  I think each branch has had something similar for awhile, but with recent cuts, I think their guidelines are going to get a lot harsher. 

What a sad ecenomic state. . . it used to be one of the huge perks of the military was job security. . . now that's not even promised!!!!  Thankfully DH is a critical rate, so he's "safe". 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 31, 2013 at 9:39 AM

This.  My husband is in a critical rate as well...there are only 150 of them in the entire submarine force.  My husband is good to go.

Quoting Katkinson:

Yeah, the Navy has been doing this as well, it started around or right after I got out ( 2004) they called it "preform to serve".  You had to advance ( both officer and enlisted) within a certain time period for E-5 and below, otherwise you were out.  I think officers had a similar situation. They also became more strict on failing PRT's and the policies involved with that.  It's not as extreme ( I think) as the other branches, but if I remember correctly, they set up these guidelines for the same reason---to effectively slim down the fleet 's numbers without weakening it.  I think each branch has had something similar for awhile, but with recent cuts, I think their guidelines are going to get a lot harsher. 

What a sad ecenomic state. . . it used to be one of the huge perks of the military was job security. . . now that's not even promised!!!!  Thankfully DH is a critical rate, so he's "safe". 

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:12 AM
2 moms liked this

It will eliminate a lot of those who are a "Staffasaurous".  Doesn't matter to us personally.  Dh is retiring this summer.

adrianaevanmom
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Staffasorous?

I think my dh is fine. We looked at the negative things they're looking for and the only one that may get him is the no afsc skill level for grade. but he had a 7 level at our last base and while he technically still holds it, he pics'd to a new airframe in September and doesn't have 7 level for this plane yet. I don't think they'll hold that against him but who knows. It is the government afterall

Quoting jas_momof2:

It will eliminate a lot of those who are a "Staffasaurous".  Doesn't matter to us personally.  Dh is retiring this summer.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Dec. 31, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Yes...  never heard the term?

Quoting adrianaevanmom: Staffasorous?

I think my dh is fine. We looked at the negative things they're looking for and the only one that may get him is the no afsc skill level for grade. but he had a 7 level at our last base and while he technically still holds it, he pics'd to a new airframe in September and doesn't have 7 level for this plane yet. I don't think they'll hold that against him but who knows. It is the government afterall

Quoting jas_momof2:

adrianaevanmom
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Lol no. What does it mean?

Quoting jas_momof2:

Yes...  never heard the term?

Quoting adrianaevanmom: Staffasorous?

Quoting jas_momof2:

Coconutty4Hubby
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this
We're not going to have a military anymore if they keep firing people.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)