Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Bring Everything?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 3:15 PM
  • 16 Replies
This will be our first "real" overseas assignment and I'm a little nervous about shipping our heirloom type stuff. It's nothing of any monetary value (old family pics and momentos, a lot of Christmas ornaments that have been handed down, ect). I am considering leaving our tub of stuff at my MILs house but 3 years without it makes me sad too. Not sure if I'm being silly about this or not...
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 3:18 PM

I left a bunch of stuff at my grandmas - it was there for 22 years I finally went and got the stuff when we knew we were not moving anymore.

there was an antique table, 3 sets of china, 1 china hutch, old photos, old ornaments, and all of my kids baby hierlooms. totally worth it for me to leave it behind.

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Jan. 3, 2014 at 3:20 PM

I don't really have anything old and family herilom stuff. I kept a lot of stuff at my moms when we came to Germany. I have heard of things happening to the crates, but things can happen whenever! 

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jan. 3, 2014 at 3:47 PM

If it means a lot to you - I would leave it behind.

violinjewel
by Julia on Jan. 3, 2014 at 3:57 PM
I would leave it if you are very worried about something happening to it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by Coco on Jan. 3, 2014 at 4:06 PM
Im probably shipping some stuff to my dad when we go to Germany. The rest will come with, except the non temp storage stuff.
wagners7
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:06 PM

I would keep it with me and pack it the best I could.  Leaving it anywhere else is not a guarantee either .  And if something happened to it in the care of someone else, it will leave hard feelings.  

USAFamily
by Melissa on Jan. 4, 2014 at 5:38 AM
2 moms liked this

I moved everything. All was well. 

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:35 AM

Take one or two photographs or small things that you can pack in a suitcase and carry with you and leave the rest with your MIL.  It's kind of the best of both worlds that way--you will still have one or two things with you but will also know everything else is safe.

And no, it's not silly to worry about stuff like this :)

TheartAH
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:46 AM
Can we pack it ourselves to bring with? I've heard of movers repacking stuff that people had already boxed up. I thought it might be a liability issue for them.

Quoting wagners7:

I would keep it with me and pack it the best I could.  Leaving it anywhere else is not a guarantee either .  And if something happened to it in the care of someone else, it will leave hard feelings.  

TheartAH
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:51 AM
This is a little OT but what can go in the non temp storage? Anything or just big stuff like washer/dryer ect? Do they just ship it back to you when you get back stateside?

Quoting cocoroo: Im probably shipping some stuff to my dad when we go to Germany. The rest will come with, except the non temp storage stuff.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN