Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Bring Everything?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 3:15 PM
  • 16 Replies
This will be our first "real" overseas assignment and I'm a little nervous about shipping our heirloom type stuff. It's nothing of any monetary value (old family pics and momentos, a lot of Christmas ornaments that have been handed down, ect). I am considering leaving our tub of stuff at my MILs house but 3 years without it makes me sad too. Not sure if I'm being silly about this or not...
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 3:18 PM

I left a bunch of stuff at my grandmas - it was there for 22 years I finally went and got the stuff when we knew we were not moving anymore.

there was an antique table, 3 sets of china, 1 china hutch, old photos, old ornaments, and all of my kids baby hierlooms. totally worth it for me to leave it behind.

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Jan. 3, 2014 at 3:20 PM

I don't really have anything old and family herilom stuff. I kept a lot of stuff at my moms when we came to Germany. I have heard of things happening to the crates, but things can happen whenever! 

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jan. 3, 2014 at 3:47 PM

If it means a lot to you - I would leave it behind.

violinjewel
by Julia on Jan. 3, 2014 at 3:57 PM
I would leave it if you are very worried about something happening to it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by Coco on Jan. 3, 2014 at 4:06 PM
Im probably shipping some stuff to my dad when we go to Germany. The rest will come with, except the non temp storage stuff.
wagners7
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:06 PM

I would keep it with me and pack it the best I could.  Leaving it anywhere else is not a guarantee either .  And if something happened to it in the care of someone else, it will leave hard feelings.  

USAFamily
by Melissa on Jan. 4, 2014 at 5:38 AM
2 moms liked this

I moved everything. All was well. 

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:35 AM

Take one or two photographs or small things that you can pack in a suitcase and carry with you and leave the rest with your MIL.  It's kind of the best of both worlds that way--you will still have one or two things with you but will also know everything else is safe.

And no, it's not silly to worry about stuff like this :)

TheartAH
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:46 AM
Can we pack it ourselves to bring with? I've heard of movers repacking stuff that people had already boxed up. I thought it might be a liability issue for them.

Quoting wagners7:

I would keep it with me and pack it the best I could.  Leaving it anywhere else is not a guarantee either .  And if something happened to it in the care of someone else, it will leave hard feelings.  

TheartAH
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:51 AM
This is a little OT but what can go in the non temp storage? Anything or just big stuff like washer/dryer ect? Do they just ship it back to you when you get back stateside?

Quoting cocoroo: Im probably shipping some stuff to my dad when we go to Germany. The rest will come with, except the non temp storage stuff.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)