Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

question for military moms

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:54 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hi-

This is my first post after lurking for some time. My question is, are you able to have your own career while your husband is in the military?

My husband is inlisting in the Navy, we have two small children (under 5) and I am studying to become a nurse. Will this still be possible once he is active? What were your experiences? How is the boot camp/training process? 

Please share any experience you may have. 

Thanks! nurse

~Noelle 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. ~Joshua 21:15
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wagners7
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Most definitely in your career choice.  Very portable career.  I have been a military spouse for 24 years and at times have had to start at the bottom and take jobs outside of my career, but have always been able to find work when I needed and as a blessing not had work when I needed to be home.  It's been a while so I don't recall the boot camp experience too much, but it wasn't too long.  I work in the military health care system also.  Good luck to you!.

cocoroo
by Coco on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:17 PM

You should be fine being a nurse. I'm not sure about all the Navy specific stuff.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I am in nursing school now.... I am not worried about it because many states will now honor licenses from another state. The ones that don't you will just have to take the state boards. I don't think that is a big deal. 

You will just have to base your hours and childcare on what you can find and not factor in your husband due to him not have a "set schedule". You never know when he will have to leave for deployments or training, go in early or stay late, or have to stand Duty.

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Good luck and welcome to the group!

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 11:13 PM

You can have your own career, absolutely. However, it's nearly impossible to advance in that career, as you often don't stay in one place long enough to build up seniority. His career will always take precedence over yours, it's the way it goes. 

I had a very, Very, VERY, difficult time with exactly this, earlier this year. I'm still having a bit of a rough transition. I had to leave a very well paying position with a fantastic surgeon's practice. It was a place that I fit in very well, and I had a real opportunity to move up the ranks eventually. We left a beautiful home, great friends, and an amazing school system where my child was flourishing. We left all of that to come to a duty station that we didn't get to choose, and we both hate, because the Navy told us where we had to go rather than let us pick.

I was unemployed for a month, then was able to find a fill-in position, and now I'm full time, but we sucked our savings dry in the last 4 months. As a registered nurse it shouldn't be as hard for you, especially if you have a BSN. Obamacare is changing the rules of who can be hired at certain facilities. In 2015 all x-ray techs will be required to have bachelors degrees. You might want to check what is happening to  registered nurses. LPN's will soon be obsolete.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 4, 2014 at 5:07 AM

Welcome and good luck!

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:47 AM

I'm going to disagree with this.  Advancing in a career is about skills, not seniority.  As a nurse, you may get experience or training opportunities that you can sell to an employer when you move to your next duty station. 

DH's first wife was a nursing major in college and she actually did very well with all of their moves.  She always found work wherever they went and she advanced her career just fine--she's now a unit manager at a teaching hospital.  It's all a matter of what you want to do.  They key is to be proactive and keep advancing your skills and doing your continuing education.

I love the job I have now, but it isn't my first--or even my fourth--job ever.  I have always made a vertical move, rather than a lateral one.  You can have two meaningful careers.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

You can have your own career, absolutely. However, it's nearly impossible to advance in that career, as you often don't stay in one place long enough to build up seniority. His career will always take precedence over yours, it's the way it goes. 

I had a very, Very, VERY, difficult time with exactly this, earlier this year. I'm still having a bit of a rough transition. I had to leave a very well paying position with a fantastic surgeon's practice. It was a place that I fit in very well, and I had a real opportunity to move up the ranks eventually. We left a beautiful home, great friends, and an amazing school system where my child was flourishing. We left all of that to come to a duty station that we didn't get to choose, and we both hate, because the Navy told us where we had to go rather than let us pick.

I was unemployed for a month, then was able to find a fill-in position, and now I'm full time, but we sucked our savings dry in the last 4 months. As a registered nurse it shouldn't be as hard for you, especially if you have a BSN. Obamacare is changing the rules of who can be hired at certain facilities. In 2015 all x-ray techs will be required to have bachelors degrees. You might want to check what is happening to  registered nurses. LPN's will soon be obsolete.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:57 AM

And that is great that you have had those opportunities. I haven't. :-(   When supervisor or lead positions pop open in x-ray, they tend to go to the people that have been employed at the facility the longest, as they know everything inside and out. Our technology changes all of the time, and every place has a different system. I did say that nurses have it easier, their job, and duties,  tend to be the same every where they go.

Quoting anchorgurl:

I'm going to disagree with this.  Advancing in a career is about skills, not seniority.  As a nurse, you may get experience or training opportunities that you can sell to an employer when you move to your next duty station. 

DH's first wife was a nursing major in college and she actually did very well with all of their moves.  She always found work wherever they went and she advanced her career just fine--she's now a unit manager at a teaching hospital.  It's all a matter of what you want to do.  They key is to be proactive and keep advancing your skills and doing your continuing education.

I love the job I have now, but it isn't my first--or even my fourth--job ever.  I have always made a vertical move, rather than a lateral one.  You can have two meaningful careers.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

wagners7
by Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Going back to the original question.....yes it's possible to have your own career, but just know that there will be challenges and some set backs at time, but it's all about attitude and how you handle change.  It's what you make it, so it could be exciting or frustrating, which ever you chose.  

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 8:19 AM

firstyour DH has the obstacle of having too many dependents to join the Navy, he will need a waiver to join, and waivers can be very hard to get right now.

as for your career, I personally know several nurses who have AD husbands, they sometimes have trouble getting licenses transferred, they can be expensive or have to commute, but they have been able to stay employed.

there are challenges with longevity,seniority -but it is part of the sacrifice we make married to a member of the military.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)