Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

How do you prepare the kids?

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 4:32 PM
  • 17 Replies

Whenever daddy/mommy are leaving for deployment/training/anything else how do you prepare the kids. My husband moved to Korea and our kids were much younger and it didn't really bother them too much. Well in a couple months daddy will be leaving for 3 weeks for selection and then after that he will be in and out through out the year depending on training schedules. So I'm wondering when do you start to prepare them and how in the world do you prepare them? I know its only 3 weeks but the first time he left once we got home from Korea he was gone for exactly 1 week and my son acted like it was a month! I have never seen him so upset. BTW he is 5 years old and will be 6 whenever daddy leaves again.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
Brett's mommy- March 26th, 2008
Brynna's mommy- December 9th, 2009

http://myjourneyfortheirmiracle.blogspot.com/

by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 4, 2014 at 5:06 PM

I'm honestly not sure.  My son is 5 years old but is special needs and doesn't understand when my husband is gone, so I don't talk to him or prepare him for it.  Well I do talk to him about Dad being gone, but he doesn't get it.  There are other ladies here who have more experience and good advice.  Good luck!

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jan. 4, 2014 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

My youngest is special needs and understands more than he should...  What we did for my youngest was 1 - tell him and 2 - took a ton of pictures when he was spending time with daddy.  When dh left, we printed them out and pasted them to a poster board and hung it in my son's room.  He woke up and said, "Good morning, Daddy" every morning and "Good night, Daddy" every night.

He was 4 at the time and it help with him being gone.  My oldest who has been around longer has always been adaptable to any situation.  He's a "go with the flow" type kid.  Didn't really have to do anything with him. 

Best wishes.

wagners7
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 5:27 PM

I never told my kids too early because for one they really didn't have a concept of time so it's something I didn't want them to worry about until it happened.  Plus most of the time my husband deployed the dates changed a hundred times so it was hard to keep track anyway.  There is really no way for them to prepare for it, just make sure they spend some good quality time together before he goes and help make that connection when he is gone. Luckily in today's technology age, the separations are a lot easier.  Get some video or recordings of daddy reading to them and stuff so they can see and hear him when he is unavailable .

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 4, 2014 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

That is an awesome idea...I totally might steal that!  Brady might not understand and he won't say those things, but he will definitely recognize a picture of him and his dad, which will brighten his face!  Thanks:)

Quoting jas_momof2:

My youngest is special needs and understands more than he should...  What we did for my youngest was 1 - tell him and 2 - took a ton of pictures when he was spending time with daddy.  When dh left, we printed them out and pasted them to a poster board and hung it in my son's room.  He woke up and said, "Good morning, Daddy" every morning and "Good night, Daddy" every night.

He was 4 at the time and it help with him being gone.  My oldest who has been around longer has always been adaptable to any situation.  He's a "go with the flow" type kid.  Didn't really have to do anything with him. 

Best wishes.

cocoroo
by Coco on Jan. 4, 2014 at 5:35 PM
2 moms liked this

My kids just do it.  They have never had peoblems with my dh leaving or being gone. 

Katkinson
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Pinterest. I have an entire board of kid deployment resources, called navy stuff. U can look me up. Kristin Starzl Atkinson. Hath!
Bretnasmommy
by Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Thats how it was in the beginning but for some reason lately he has been acting so weird whenever daddy leaves. It doesnt seem to bother my daughter who is 4 but my son mainly at night misses his daddy when hes gone.

Quoting wagners7:

I never told my kids too early because for one they really didn't have a concept of time so it's something I didn't want them to worry about until it happened.  Plus most of the time my husband deployed the dates changed a hundred times so it was hard to keep track anyway.  There is really no way for them to prepare for it, just make sure they spend some good quality time together before he goes and help make that connection when he is gone. Luckily in today's technology age, the separations are a lot easier.  Get some video or recordings of daddy reading to them and stuff so they can see and hear him when he is unavailable .

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
Brett's mommy- March 26th, 2008
Brynna's mommy- December 9th, 2009

http://myjourneyfortheirmiracle.blogspot.com/

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Jan. 4, 2014 at 8:09 PM

This is kind of how it was for us. When he deployed we did like a rough count down when it got closer to him coming home. We don't do anything special for training though. He has been in and out of the house for the last year and a half doing training. They just get used to it.

Quoting cocoroo:

My kids just do it.  They have never had peoblems with my dh leaving or being gone. 

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jan. 4, 2014 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this

They do best with routine, so we just keep that up. They have had their issues with it, but there is nothing that any sort of preparation could have helped with it.

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Jan. 4, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Good luck to  your husband on selection. My husband said he should have practiced rucking more before he went.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN