Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Drill Weekends

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 12:38 PM
  • 12 Replies

As a National Guardsman with a new baby I am wondering how other moms deal with the seperation. I knew it was going to happen but I dont think I was quite ready for it. I live two and a half hours away from where I drill at and so there is no way that I could go home every night.

by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Welcome to the group! I'm honestly not sure as I'm not AD, but there are some spouses in here that are and could give you some info/advice.  Good luck and hugs!

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 5:04 PM
That sounds really rough. How old is your baby?
Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 3:31 PM
I'm 45 mins away. I had mine on a Thursday and by Sunday I was at drill. It was near AT and I had tons of paperwork
Katkinson
by Kristin on Jan. 11, 2014 at 4:59 PM
I dunno. I was ad. Handling a separation from my kid was absolutely out of the question ( my deployment would have been significantly longer--- but I'd imagine it is hard to leave a little one for drill, too). I chose to get out. Do you have family nearby?
JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Jan. 11, 2014 at 5:32 PM
3 moms liked this

I am AF Guard... I was excused two drills after having my son... then went back to drill. I drill out of NJ but I live in VA. I drop my son off at my parents in NJ which is about 2 hours away from my base.  But  I drive the 6 hours to my parents to drop him off and am gone from Friday till Sunday evening.  I was ready for it.  I knew he was in good hands with my parents.  They spoil him... I do FaceTime and Skype... and call after I am done with the day to talk to him.  But everyone is different.

knightladywing
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 6:47 PM

A month old. 

Quoqting SlapItHigh: That sounds really rough. How old is your baby?

firemom702
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:04 PM
Is there someone who could go with you to watch the baby and stay at a hotel close by?
knightladywing
by Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 7:45 AM

Not really unfortunately. I got lucky with this past drill.

ScootBootsMommy
by New Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I was in the same boat. Luckily for us I brought my husband and the baby with me and we stayed at a friends house near base. The first drill back my son was 8 wks old and he refused to take a bottle the entire weekend (he is breastfed). My husband had to keep bringing him to base for me to nurse him. It got easier the wkds that followed. He is 6.5 months now and my husband is getting ready to deploy so starting next month he will have to stay home with my mom and my sister since I drill 2.5 hrs away :-\ Hopefully your unit will be understanding and work with you.
CountryStrong84
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:38 PM
It sucked at first, but you get used to it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)