Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Have you heard this from any MTF doctors?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:28 PM
  • 17 Replies

We were at the Naval Hospital in Portsmouth this afternoon as my son has the flu and his doctor is putting him on Tamiflu, and the pharmacy wait there is always LONG.  My son is on 15+ different medications so I get them from different MTF pharmacies and CVS...I'm in the process of switching them all to Tricare Mail Order Pharmacy....anyways...when my son's on antibiotics I usually get them at CVS as it's right by my house and convenient when he's sick so I don't wait 1-2 hours in a hospital pharmacy around a lot of sick people.  I asked the resident if he could call it in to the CVS and proceeded to give him the number.  He told me that they (doctors) have been told recently to ONLY put prescriptions into MTF pharmacies as when they put them in at civilian pharmacies, it costs Tricare more money, so this is a Tricare thing.  The head of the nursing staff was in the treatment room with us and she kind of stepped on his shoes and said she didn't care what they said and that she would personally call it into CVS herself if he didn't want to do it.  Love her!  LOL!  

So, he said he would do it with no problem as he understands why I wouldn't want my chronically ill child already sick with the flu to wait in the hospital pharmacy for 1-2 hours for this med.  I'm really glad he accomodated me:)  

So...have you heard this from any MTF doctors?  This is the first I've heard of it to be honest.  CF Clinic handles all of Brady's meds and the majority of them are done at CVS (all for my convenience) and nothing has ever been said to me about it.  

by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:39 PM
Occasionally they'll hesitate to do it for me but never to the point of outright refusal. It's been at least a month since I last did this so of its a new change, it might be different.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Yeah, this is the first I've ever heard of it.  He was definitely hesitant but was very nice and agreed to do it.  

Quoting SlapItHigh: Occasionally they'll hesitate to do it for me but never to the point of outright refusal. It's been at least a month since I last did this so of its a new change, it might be different.

cocoroo
by Coco on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I have never had any of them willing to call an Rx in for me, ever.  I have had them write them out for me though.  Although, they don't like doing it.

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:38 PM

This

Quoting cocoroo:

I have never had any of them willing to call an Rx in for me, ever.  I have had them write them out for me though.  Although, they don't like doing it.

Katkinson
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Dunno. .there is no MTF for dependents here.  I'm prime remote.. .I have no choice but to go to a civilian pharmacy!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 11, 2014 at 3:16 AM

I didn't even think about asking him to just give me a written Rx...honestly didn't occur to me.  The CF Clinic usually offers to call it in for me as they know I live 45 minutes from the hospital and they just like to accomodate the CF patients.  Plus it saved me a ton of time for him to call it in...I drove the hour drive back home and CVS called me before I got home stating his med was ready.  They filled it quickly since it was an "acute" medication (their term).  I thanked the doctor many times:)

Quoting cocoroo:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 11, 2014 at 3:20 AM

Now that I think about it, I've had my own doctor write me prescriptions to take to civilian pharmacy for my birth control back many years ago....at the time their computer system at the AFB was down and I wouldn't have been able to pick it up there that day...could have waited until the next day I guess, but she offered to give me a written px and I took it.  

The more I think about it, I don't recall ever actually asking anyone (until yesterday) to call it in to a civilian pharmacy...they have always offered.  Maybe because I have a chronically ill child and they know I live at hospitals and pharmacies.  

Quoting cocoroo:

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 7:25 AM

here at kings bay they told me they would do 2 things, write a script I could take out, or call the scritpt into the MTF phamacy but they could not call it in to an outside pharmacy.

whether it was try or not I do not know, I always just filled it at the MTF because it was right there.

JMmama
by Kara on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:49 AM
We are seen off base now but we were seen on base in Vegas and they told me the same thing. They could call it in to the base pharmacy or write it out and I could take it where ever I wanted.
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Never heard that, and if Tricare doesn't want to pay more for meds, MAYBE they should actually have the MTF pharmacies well stocked? And in your case well staffed since that wait is ridiculous. 

The problem I ran into at our last duty station ALL THE TIME was "Oh...yeah we don't carry that" For all kinds of stuff, really common medications too. I'm not talking weird things that only certain people would need occasionally.  The longest wait I ever had there was 20 minutes because they did a system reset 2 minutes after I got my number.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN