Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Four more women drop out of Marine Infantry Officer Course

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:56 PM
  • 13 Replies

Four more female Marine officers have dropped out on the first day of the Infantry Officer Course at Quantico, Va., bringing the number of women who have attempted and failed to complete the course to 14.

A requirement for Marine infantry officers, the grueling 13-week course has been open to women since September 2012, in keeping with a servicewide review of restrictions on women serving in combat arms fields. But to date, no women have graduated the course and only one has made it past the initial Combat Endurance Test that kicks off the course. That woman was injured, however, and did not continue on with the course.

Marine Corps spokeswoman Capt. Maureen Krebs said the latest iteration of IOC held its initial Combat Endurance Test on Jan. 9. Of the 104 students who began the course, one was medically dropped and 28, including the four female volunteers, were unable to meet the requirements of the CET.

The Marine Corps continues to send female officers to the course on a volunteer basis, with plans to use data from IOC to make an informed recommendation in 2016 as to whether the Marine infantry and reconnaissance fields should be open to women.

While IOC, which has a 20- to 25-percent drop-out rate among male participants, has stymied women so far, female Marines have had more success with the less-challenging Infantry Training Battalion at Camp Geiger, N.C., which trains enlisted Marines for infantry fields.

So far, 13 female Marines have completed the course in two evolutions of training. Another company in ITB with six female volunteers was set to graduate in early January, but Marine officials did not immediately have data available about that graduation.

by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:59 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't know what to make of this. They are trying to intergrate women into Marine infantry officer positions but they cannot make it through the course.  Yet it has been 2 years now. Has no one been taking a hint??

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:50 AM
I'm not surprised.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 13, 2014 at 4:57 AM

Me either.

Quoting SlapItHigh: I'm not surprised.

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:44 AM
5 moms liked this

I don't know why women feel the need to try and prove they can do everything a man can do. Men cannot do everything we can. We are different. Our bodies are different. Why is that a bad thing?

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm probably going to be in the minority here...but I think that females should be allowed to try.  If they cannot meet the standards, then they at least had the opportunity.  There are a lot of careers that wouldn't be open to women today if those before us were not allowed to try. 

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Tell that to the pregnant man. Just kidding.

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

I don't know why women feel the need to try and prove they can do everything a man can do. Men cannot do everything we can. We are different. Our bodies are different. Why is that a bad thing?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:10 AM

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:12 AM

^^^^^^^LMAO

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:18 AM
Lol
mrsary
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:18 AM
Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)