Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Doing away with Housing Allowance

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 40 Replies
1 mom liked this

Here is the DoD's newest hair brain idea.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20140113/BENEFITS02/301130009/Big-changes-BAH-

If you want to read the whole thing you have to buy it of course.

New allowance could combine housing, food subsidies, eliminate 'with dependents' rate

Defense officials are considering doing away with Basic Allowance for Housing in favor of a new 'locality allowance,' according to several officials familiar with the plan.

I dont give a crap about the with dependents rate ...but what I do care about is them completely changing it. What the heck is a locality allowance??? If they were to do away with BAH and give us a small allowance to live on like a few hundred dollars... We would be SOL. We are stationed in a major city. You are LUCKY to find a crappy run down ONE bedroom for under $2000 a month. If we had to cover that with basic pay we would have to choose between buying groceries and paying our bills. We dont even have credit cards!! We live within our means only on what were paid. This would kill us. 

Im just so sick of hearing all of the proposed cuts. Bash me if you will but its getting old. Lets kick everyone out, cancel BAH, BAS.. Heck who needs basic pay?? They can just work for free! BAH?? Psh, we can live for free in a cardboard box.

I wouldnt be worried if there was base housing to live in but at our duty station its a LONG wait. We have already been on the wait list for 18 months. If they knock BAH down to an amount where you cant afford to rent that wait will become indefinite. Its already expensive enough to live here, we WANT to live on base but are not able to until our name comes up on the list. I bring this up because this is a common argument I see others throw at each other. There isnt enough housing to go around and basic pay isnt sufficient to cover housing too.

Sorry.. Rant over

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:30 PM
4 moms liked this

Things are not like how they used to be and it will continue to change until there is nothing left.  I'm glad dh is retiring.  Not that "out there" is any better, but at least if they breech a contract, there are steps you can take to rectify the situation whereas with the government?  Yeah - they're allow to breech all the time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Quoting lwalker270:

Here's the entire article:

http://www.militarytimes.com/article/20140113/BENEFITS02/301130009/Big-changes-to-BAH-

It wont let me see it since I dont have a login (im not a subscriber). Its probably for the best..ill just get even more angry lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:33 PM
My paycheck would be about 2k less a month without BAH and BAS. I would be back on govt assistance!
lwalker270
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lwalker270:

Here's the entire article:

http://www.militarytimes.com/article/20140113/BENEFITS02/301130009/Big-changes-to-BAH-

It wont let me see it since I dont have a login (im not a subscriber). Its probably for the best..ill just get even more angry lol

I'm not a subscriber either, and was able to read the entire article...

ETA:  and now it won't.  Weird.  I've still got the whole article up, I'll c&p.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:34 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting jas_momof2:

Things are not like how they used to be and it will continue to change until there is nothing left.  I'm glad dh is retiring.  Not that "out there" is any better, but at least if they breech a contract, there are steps you can take to rectify the situation whereas with the government?  Yeah - they're allow to breech all the time.

If your dh is retiring then I know you've seen a lot of change. What people don't realize is that all of this generous BAH people have been getting is what's kind of "new". You know people weren't getting all of this money back in the day. *sigh*....Today's military....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:35 PM
True! Thats also why most lived on post back then too!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jas_momof2:

If your dh is retiring then I know you've seen a lot of change. What people don't realize is that all of this generous BAH people have been getting is what's kind of "new". You know people weren't getting all of this money back in the day. *sigh*....Today's military....

CountryStrong84
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:35 PM
That's so sad. Like they can't find budget cuts else where. I'm glad my husband is retiring in August.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Quoting jas_momof2:

Yeah I know what you mean. DH isnt ready to be "out there" but at the same time I think hes getting to the point where hes just over it. He said hes not even counting on retirement at this point, he thinks by the time he retires it will be completely gone. He has 12 years in so we have at least 8 to go. I love the Military, its been good to us. But now times are becoming so stressful. It's not like the deployments arent stressful enough, now they want to add in the stress of threatening/implementing cuts all around. We are putting a ridiculous amount of money into savings every month. We are preparing for the worst at this point.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Yes but there isnt enough housing for the amount of people at really any duty station. We only have 500 homes and 15,000 active duty members here. There is no way that we can all live on base. The COL here is ridiculous too.

Quoting Anonymous: True! Thats also why most lived on post back then too!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jas_momof2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN