Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm on cloud nine!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:50 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm in love with Tricare Mail Order Pharmacy program!  I'm a idiot for not utilizing this benefit years ago!  

Most of you know I have a special needs child with a terminal illness who needs 24/7 care.  He takes 13-15 different medications depending on what bacteria is in his lungs at the time.  I've been getting his meds at 2-3 different MTF pharmacies anywhere from 15-55 minutes from my house and the others I get from CVS and pay anywhere from $5-$17/month supply.

I finally signed up for the mail order program, and I'm able to get 7 of his medications delivered to my front doorstep!  3 month supply of each of those meds for $39 total!  No joke!  This will save me SO much time, money, and gas!

I'm stoked and had to share:)

Do any of you utlitize this program?

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandaschelle
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:53 PM
Luckily we don't have and maintenance drugs that require consistent use but my retired patents do an have been mostly happy with the service.
Their only issues have been vacation supply or leaving the package out in extreme heat if a south Florida summer. That has more to do with delivery person than the service.
cocoroo
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:55 PM
I used to, but there is no need anymore. The only regular medicine taken at my house is zyrtec. Plus, we go to a satellite clinic for Madigan. The longest I have waited at the little pharmacy is 5 minutes. We i had to go to Madigan, I would get a pharmacy ticket and then go to my appointment. 1-2 hours was not uncommon.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Oh my goodness...that's how it is at Portsmouth Naval.  We were there on Monday and I had to get 2 meds for Brady...growth hormone shots and antibiotics.  He had 2 appointments...endocrinology and pulmonology.  The appts went from 1:00-2:30 and then I went to get a ticket at the pharmacy.  The wait was over 2 hours, so I went home (drove the 45 minutes) and then waited until my husband got home from work, then I went back.  It was about 5:45-6:00 by the time I got back there, and I still waited over an hour for those 2 medications.  I was beyond exhausted by the time I drove the 45 minutes back home again.  That was about the end of it for me.  I can only do so much. 

Quoting cocoroo: I used to, but there is no need anymore. The only regular medicine taken at my house is zyrtec. Plus, we go to a satellite clinic for Madigan. The longest I have waited at the little pharmacy is 5 minutes. We i had to go to Madigan, I would get a pharmacy ticket and then go to my appointment. 1-2 hours was not uncommon.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Let me add that I didn't plan on having to get meds that day prior to those appointments...otherwise I would have pulled a ticket first.  But my luck is always crappy with that and my number gets called right before I get back there and I have to get another one!  LOL!

Quoting cocoroo: I used to, but there is no need anymore. The only regular medicine taken at my house is zyrtec. Plus, we go to a satellite clinic for Madigan. The longest I have waited at the little pharmacy is 5 minutes. We i had to go to Madigan, I would get a pharmacy ticket and then go to my appointment. 1-2 hours was not uncommon.

JMmama
by Kara on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:16 PM
I didn't know there was such a thing! There aren't meds we take on a regular basis though.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:25 PM

We don't have meds we take on a regular basis, so no need for us to use it. But I am glad it worked out so well for you! One of those things you are probably kicking yourself now for not doing a lot sooner!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 17, 2014 at 6:38 AM

Oh yes!  I wish I would have done this years ago!  Better late than never though:)

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

We don't have meds we take on a regular basis, so no need for us to use it. But I am glad it worked out so well for you! One of those things you are probably kicking yourself now for not doing a lot sooner!

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 7:44 AM
1 mom liked this

That's fantastic!  Anything that saves time and money is always great to know about!

JulesFairy
by Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 8:12 AM
Just a caveat, the only problem I had with the program is that the didnt always notify me in advance if they didnt have my medication. I take a medicine that is hard to find at local pharmacies and until recently wasnt carried at all at mtf pharmacies. I was due to get my refill on friday, I called the week before to verify they had it and they said it was on its way. Awesome right? Wrong. When friday came I had no meds, but I had a week left so I get on the phone with them, they said hmmmm its on its way, but just in case call us back monday if you dont have it. My delivery people run late here so it came after they closed. When I opened it I found they had subbed a generic for my med even though the doctors perscription says no subs and I did all their paperwork to make it so they couldnt do generic instead of name brand. Call them in Tuesday, they were on back order for my med for 4 months. Apparently when I called, they knew they disnt have name brand and thought the generic was acceptable and thats what was on its way. So if you have meds that are brand specific ask them if they have XxxxX available no generic or they may not inform you honestly about whether your meds on its way.
Otherwise, I had great luck with them. Their customer service is kind. Not always able to help but definately willing.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 17, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Thanks for sharing!

Quoting JulesFairy: Just a caveat, the only problem I had with the program is that the didnt always notify me in advance if they didnt have my medication. I take a medicine that is hard to find at local pharmacies and until recently wasnt carried at all at mtf pharmacies. I was due to get my refill on friday, I called the week before to verify they had it and they said it was on its way. Awesome right? Wrong. When friday came I had no meds, but I had a week left so I get on the phone with them, they said hmmmm its on its way, but just in case call us back monday if you dont have it. My delivery people run late here so it came after they closed. When I opened it I found they had subbed a generic for my med even though the doctors perscription says no subs and I did all their paperwork to make it so they couldnt do generic instead of name brand. Call them in Tuesday, they were on back order for my med for 4 months. Apparently when I called, they knew they disnt have name brand and thought the generic was acceptable and thats what was on its way. So if you have meds that are brand specific ask them if they have XxxxX available no generic or they may not inform you honestly about whether your meds on its way.
Otherwise, I had great luck with them. Their customer service is kind. Not always able to help but definately willing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)