Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Who does your taxes?

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 10:17 AM
  • 39 Replies

Do you do your own taxes?  Do you use an accountant or company?  If you do them yourself, what program do you use?

I've always done ours myself, but I need to purchase a new program this year since we have 2 homes and one of them is a rental house.  Any recommendations?

by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Katkinson
by Kristin on Jan. 17, 2014 at 10:35 AM

I'm not in your situation, but DH does ours with turbotax.  We used to go to jackson-hewiitt, but their uneducated accountants failed to recognize that military personnel can maintain their home of records and therefore do NOT need to pay state taxes wherever they are stationed at.  They flagged us and now I constantly have to call NY state tax branch to repeatedly tell them we do NOT owe back taxes, I cannot prove DH is a resident of another state since  I don't have access to his personnel files and they'll have to wait until he gets back from deployment. .. . ugh.  I guess quite a few guys have dealt with that, including the Cob.

So now we have to wait to file until we know the NY state thing is cleared, or they'll hold our federal income tax return and hard telling when we'd EVER get it back-- if at all.  They're in a hurry to take money they think you owe, but if they owe you, don't hold your breath. 

If it's going to be a complex file, I'd try to get a referral from base or something-- someone that is familiar with filing taxes for the military. 

Katkinson
by Kristin on Jan. 17, 2014 at 10:36 AM

oh. . . and we were flagged LAST YEAR for our 2007 taxes.  What the heck?

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jan. 17, 2014 at 10:44 AM

I do my own through Turbo Tax.  I take advantage of the USAA discount through them.

adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Turbo tax
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:10 AM

I didn't know they offered a discount for USAA members....we have our home owners and auto insurance plus a car loan with USAA.  

I think I might get the Turbo Tax Premier from Sam's club...it's only $59.00 there right now and it's $89.00 on the TurboTax website...

Quoting jas_momof2:

I do my own through Turbo Tax.  I take advantage of the USAA discount through them.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I remember you telling us about that a while ago...what a horrible situation!  I'm sorry!  My husband is a resident of TX so no state taxes are taken out of his check.  We've never had the state we lived in try to get him to pay state taxes for them though...guess we're lucky!  Hope you get everything done quickly!  Hugs!

Quoting Katkinson:

I'm not in your situation, but DH does ours with turbotax.  We used to go to jackson-hewiitt, but their uneducated accountants failed to recognize that military personnel can maintain their home of records and therefore do NOT need to pay state taxes wherever they are stationed at.  They flagged us and now I constantly have to call NY state tax branch to repeatedly tell them we do NOT owe back taxes, I cannot prove DH is a resident of another state since  I don't have access to his personnel files and they'll have to wait until he gets back from deployment. .. . ugh.  I guess quite a few guys have dealt with that, including the Cob.

So now we have to wait to file until we know the NY state thing is cleared, or they'll hold our federal income tax return and hard telling when we'd EVER get it back-- if at all.  They're in a hurry to take money they think you owe, but if they owe you, don't hold your breath. 

If it's going to be a complex file, I'd try to get a referral from base or something-- someone that is familiar with filing taxes for the military. 

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Search Turbo Tax on the USAA site and it should pop up with the military rate.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I didn't know they offered a discount for USAA members....we have our home owners and auto insurance plus a car loan with USAA.  

I think I might get the Turbo Tax Premier from Sam's club...it's only $59.00 there right now and it's $89.00 on the TurboTax website...

Quoting jas_momof2:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:15 AM

It looks like the version they offer military is pretty basic though.  I need the Premier version since we have investments and a rental property....I could be wrong though.  I will keep checking it out:)

Quoting jas_momof2:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting jas_momof2:

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:19 AM

There's more than one version.  At least there was last year.  I have not checked it out this year.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

It looks like the version they offer military is pretty basic though.  I need the Premier version since we have investments and a rental property....I could be wrong though.  I will keep checking it out:)

Quoting jas_momof2:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting jas_momof2:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:28 AM

The only 2 versions I see are based on rank.  There's one version for E1-E5 and another version for E6-E9 & O1-O9.  

Now, if you use one of their paid versions, you can get $20 off for being a USAA member...not sure how you get that discount if you buy the software from a retailer.  

Quoting jas_momof2:

There's more than one version.  At least there was last year.  I have not checked it out this year.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting jas_momof2:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting jas_momof2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)