Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice on daycare

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:28 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hey everyone, I'm a marine wife stationed at Camp Lejeune and stay at home mom to a 2 year old and 11 month old. I need some advice. I worked in the OR at Naval until my 2 year old was 4 months old. I had to leave because I developed and allergy to the chemicals they use to clean. I was only supposed to be home until I figured out what I was going to do with my career. A month later we found out I was pregnant again. In my second trimester I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. I have gone through treatment and will hopefully get my remission status in May. I decided to go back to school for Healthcare Admin so I could use my current degree still. Luckily, my program is go at your own pace. I have about 2 months of work left before I can sit for the exam. The problem is my husband is airwing and is usually flying nights. It has been nearly impossible to get any school done with my kids. I have tried during nap time and after they go to bed. I can get some done but not enough. My question is: I'm thinking about putting them in daycare so I can have at least 6 hours a day to finish. The only problem is on one income we can't afford it and would have to go into debt for it. I don't want to build any debt but I don't see how else I will finish. Any advice would help!!!!

by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Welcome to the group!

Do you have any friends with children that you can swap babysitting services?  That way it won't cost you any money.  That's the only "free childcare" I can think of...since you said you can't afford to pay to put them in daycare.  

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I would suggest looking for a home care provider and cut your 6 hours a day to 2-3 3 days a week.

you would be amazed at what you can get done in 3 hours alone with no distractions.

I do home day care and I charge 3.50 an hour for part time care and currently have 5 kids whose parents are in school. the average is 12 hours a week that they are in care.

figure out WHAT you can afford and find a provider who is willing to work with you.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jan. 17, 2014 at 12:11 PM

This.

Quoting gunsgirl:

I would suggest looking for a home care provider and cut your 6 hours a day to 2-3 3 days a week.

you would be amazed at what you can get done in 3 hours alone with no distractions.

figure out WHAT you can afford and find a provider who is willing to work with you.

Photobucket

HopeAlive
by New Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 3:24 PM

You sound like a hard-working, mama! Going to school while parenting is definitely no easy thing. Good job!!

I've known some moms who take turns babysitting each other's kids in order to save money...Do you think something like this would be an option for you?

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jan. 17, 2014 at 9:27 PM

There is a drop-in place there... I can't remember what it is called. My kids love it! It seems like it was called kidbiz or something like that.

sunnysideup89
by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Do part time day care, not full time and do you have family close by?

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 5:21 AM

Same suggestions as above -- swap babysitting with other people and/or do your study time in chunks.  I know it seems far off and overwhelming right now, but you can do this. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)