Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Does anyone know about

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
AER loans. My husbands sweet grandma passed away this morning and we want to go be with family,however, we can not afford plane tickets. Will they cover the cost for 5 tickets. That's for me and hubby! And we have 4 kids but our youngest is two and can sit on the lap. Iv never flown before or dealt with the AER. Any advice or thoughts on how likely our chances are would be great. TYIA h
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by Coco on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:30 AM

I have no idea.  We have never had to use it.  Someone on here will be able to help.

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Jan. 29, 2014 at 2:20 AM

He needs to fill out a form at company level. You put the amount you need borrow. So you should check what each ticket costs and then fill it out with that amount. If you have a Red Cross message about the death and get the form signed by his command he can take it to the AER office. I am not sure if there is a maximum amount but he can find out. He needs to get with his command first off. Good luck. If they won't do the whole amount he might have to go alone. My husband helped it for a guy and it took like three hours total to do the whole process.

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Jan. 29, 2014 at 2:58 AM

What she said. Has the company granted him leave yet? I would make sure he gets leave first. I have heard they don't always allow emergency leave for grandparents. 

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

He needs to fill out a form at company level. You put the amount you need borrow. So you should check what each ticket costs and then fill it out with that amount. If you have a Red Cross message about the death and get the form signed by his command he can take it to the AER office. I am not sure if there is a maximum amount but he can find out. He needs to get with his command first off. Good luck. If they won't do the whole amount he might have to go alone. My husband helped it for a guy and it took like three hours total to do the whole process.

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Jan. 29, 2014 at 3:29 AM

Also I would think about the fact you will probably have to pay it back and that could be quite a bit monthly.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 6:51 AM

unfortunately unless his grandparent raised him he will not be allowed to take emergency leave- he can still take leave but it will be chargable leave.

as for the flights remember the AER is a loan and must be paid back in 12 months- so if you need 2000 dollars can you afford to pay the  loan back every month?

this is the most important because if you do not have enough money to save for an emergency how are you going to pay back the loan?

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:35 AM

THIS is the complete break down. Most of the ladies here have already answered your questions and are on point with how it works. But do know that you CAN be turned down, and that the amount owed is due with in 12 months of the loan. Questions to ask yourself: Can you afford the monthly payments? Would it be more cost effective to wait and pay your respects later? Does your husband have enough leave time ( unless the grandmother raised him he can't be considered for emergency leave so the leave dates are chargeable)

jjames1990
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:39 AM
DH and I were just talking about this because a few of his people have beem coming to him for loan approval and things have changed a bit. I believe the max is now 2000. And yes, you have 12 months to pay it back. And they wont loan it unless they are sure your DH is going to be in for another 12 months.

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Here is AER website and phone numbers.

AER Website    http://www.aerhq.org/dnn563/

Phone: 703-428-0000
Toll Free: 866-878-6378

Click the Financial Assistance Tab on your left and you find FQA's as well as forms. You'll also find a Loan Repayment Tab with FQA's.

I hope it is helpful.   My condolences to your husband.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks, his grandma didn't raise him but they are still letting him take emergency leave.

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

THIS is the complete break down. Most of the ladies here have already answered your questions and are on point with how it works. But do know that you CAN be turned down, and that the amount owed is due with in 12 months of the loan. Questions to ask yourself: Can you afford the monthly payments? Would it be more cost effective to wait and pay your respects later? Does your husband have enough leave time ( unless the grandmother raised him he can't be considered for emergency leave so the leave dates are chargeable)

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 3:20 PM
I don't know but I hope you are able to work out a way to go. I'm so sorry for the loss.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)